Building an old skiff

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by BMcF, Aug 19, 2023.

1. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Some folks on here know of my involvement in the design, construction and testing of advanced marine vehicles. SES, ACV, SWATH, hydrofoils, and hybrid combinations of them. So what did I recently build at our shop?....this crabbing skiff, intended to replicate one for the 1920s, engine and all. Local boat building legend with many such skiffs built over the the last 60 years was the man that enabled my idea. Engine is a 1926 Universal Fisherman that I restored.

Finishing up plumbing today. In the water soon.

Attached Files:

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

What a great build!

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

+ 1 to Bluebell's comment above.
    Can you post some more photos please Bill?
    And tell us a bit more about that interesting single cylinder inboard engine?

hoytedow likes this.
  4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

bajansailor likes this.
  5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

From your link:

"In 19?? the Fisherman (Model WM / WMG / WMGR) 1 cylinder / 67.6 cu in / 8 hp @ 1,200 rpm was introduced. This engine was fitted with a splash lubrication system, and a “Cuno Timer” ignition. The Cuno Timer was an aftermarket contact breaker / condenser ignition module which was fitted by several engine manufacturers instead of magneto ignition. The Fisherman was still listed in the 1940 catalogue, and is listed in other sources in 1948."

I'll post some more pictures of the Fisherman and a couple other antique marine engines I have.

Attached Files:

hoytedow likes this.
  6. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Fuel to carburetor is gravity fed only, so I had to squeeze as much tank as I could inside that little console/motor cover. I knocked the tank out this morning....ended up 5.5 gallons total volume which ends up a little over 5 gallons net. I'll bet that Universal will run all day on 5 gallons.

Attached Files:

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Annotated pics and some questions.

upload_2023-8-21_21-19-19.png

upload_2023-8-21_21-19-58.png

8. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Pretty good annotation..a passing grade ;-)

That's a priming cup on top of the head. A small gasoline dispensing can is available for priming that. There is no oil pump; bearings are splash fed. The grease cup is on the raw water pump because its a gear pump; you give the grease cup a couple turns before an initial start so that the pump will prime itself with water. That "vent" is a garden hose connection so that I can run the boat on the trailer to test, flush etc.

9. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

10. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Nope...those priming cups were a "feature" on many, if not even most, of early gasoline engines. There were even some spark plug designs that incorporated the priming cup.

I have an early 1920s Gray Marine 2-cylinder 10HP going in another retro-build project.It has a priming cup on each cylinder. And fully exposed external rockers, valve springs and pushrods that have to be manually oiled as you run the engine.

11. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Can you post a photo or two of this engine as well please?

12. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Be happy to. I'm currently out on the west coast involved in sea trials of a new craft but I'll post some more pictures of my old marine engines when I get back to the office (MD), if I don't have any on my cell phone.

bajansailor likes this.
  13. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

This early Gray twin was actually produced by World Motors for Gray. Gray Marine had a long history of, and excellent reputation for, marinizing various engines and selling them under the Gray Marine name. Plan for this one is to go in a 20' Chesapeake deadrise skiff. The engine needs a cosmetic restoration but runs fine.

Attached Files:

bajansailor likes this.
  14. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

She's a beauty Bill...

bajansailor likes this.

15. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Thanks, John..I appreciate that. Isn't it funny the vessels you and I build for a living compared to what we'll mess with for a hobby?

Maybe I should try building a wood SWATH next.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.