late 60's, early 70's slickcraft 160

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by donp, Sep 29, 2003.

1. cmbee

cmbee New Member

Attached Files:

2. cmbee

cmbee New Member

I think this is a 1967 Slick Craft 160V.

3. Tim Gasman

Tim Gasman New Member

I have a 66 ss170 running 90 % complete im restoring maroon color, black interior. previous owner painted lower end black

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

First off, before I answer your question about horsepower, I think you and the others on this thread need to take a look at FiberGlassicsĀ® - Index - FiberGlassicsĀ® Forums https://www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums. That forum is all about old classic boats (and not just fiberglass).
    As for horsepower. The rating for outboard powered boats is based on the centerline length, Transom width and transom height, and whether the boat has remote steering or not. A boat with a 15 inch transom height and using tiller steering (the tiller on the outboard) is going to be rated far lower HP than a boat with a 20 inch transom, and a steering wheel. see Boat Building Regulations | Safe Horsepower For Outboard Boats https://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hp.html For instance a 1969 Slick Craft SS160 was rated for 80 HP. But the same length boat without the wheel and a lower transom would be rated for about half that (that's a guess, I would have to run the numbers)

But on the other hand, the boat is old and the transom may be week. They may have been afraid it couldn't take the weight and thrust of a larger motor. But 20 hp is pretty small for that size boat.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

cmbee, Nice looking boat

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.