Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Like Yobarnacle, my ticket says "Limited Master Mariner" but the accepted, and used, term here (Canada) is Captain. Although the authority should be seldom used, it is necessary in times of urgency to maintain order and proficiency. Again, like Yoby, to be on a first name basis with your officers is good ship keeping practice, they are your allies and team who you come to trust and rely upon, at times heavily.

The Captain carries the ultimate responsibility for the passengers and vessel unless he/she has been deemed unfit for duty and relieved by the First Officer.

Many commit suicide after events such as this. Lives have been lost and a billion dollar asset is in peril.

-Tom

P.S. I should point out my ticket is similar to Yobarnacle's only in the sense that it too says "Master". Yoby's is not limited.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

How are you tought to behave in an emergency when separtated from the central command structure ? Cant find the Captain ?

3. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Don't know local customs northwest coast capt Tom, but morse "D" on the steam whistle. (A long and 2 shorts..pilot salute to pilot)

4. Submarine Tom

"Vessel restricted in it's ability to maneuver."

But right back at 'ya there Cap.

_ . .

-Tom

5. Submarine Tom

I wouldn't find myself in that position Michael.

Why do you ask?

-Tom

6. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

It's my understanding that master is just a more formal term, which may explain why the British use it. My ticket, being a US one and newly reissued, has the new terms.

Now, its called a merchant mariner credential and looks like a passport.

It has a column that lists capacity and one that lists limitations.

In capacity, it says master.

In limitations, it says, "of steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessels of not more than 100 gross tons upon near coastal waters not more than 100 miles offshore."

That's what I get from a career in yachts. Tiny boats! :)

7. michael pierzga

Wise guy....the dam ship break in half...youre are on the bow and the rest your crew are on the stern. You, regaurdless of your Limited MASTERS status, have no command.

Careful with this MASTER stuff Tom, its inflated your head.

I ask again...who would be incharge of the stern of your broken ship ?

8. Submarine Tom

You've misunderstood my response Michael. The key to being a good captain is not letting it go to your head.

Your question was not clear to me. The ship is not broken in half, but if it was, I would still be in command via hand held radio. It would still be my crew, passengers and vessel, no matter how many pieces it's in.

Do you have an issue with authority figures Michael?

-Tom

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

10. nettersheim

nettersheim Consultant

Regarding post 222, passenger vessels are fitted with compulsory internal communication systems. One of them is the public adress (PA) which should work in any condition including emergency ones. The PA is supplied by normal and emergency switchboards. It should work in nearly all conditions, as far as emergency switchboard, supplied by emergency generator both being generally installed on upper deck. On top of this, a lot of portable communication means are available (UHF) for emergency situations. All these communication systems are part of the general on board safety system, and should be tested on a regularly basis through drills and simulated casualties.

Francois-Xavier Nettersheim

11. michael pierzga

You can understand from De Falco's radio presence that he is in charge and that the captain is just a small boy preparing to receive Five fingers upside the head.

Funny thing about Italy is that aside from Messina and Canale d'Otranto there is not much traffic control. Traffic controllers would have spotted Concordia's erratic behavior and corrected. Perhaps this will now change ?

France is completely different..all vessels controlled at all times. So intense that it gives you a headache to monitor channel 16

12. Yobarnacle

salute only given meeting in a channel. restricted by draft. applies. :D

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

looks like the "captain" just panicked and didn't want to be on board if the ship rolled completely. I'd call that abandoning his charges which I'm pretty sure is illegal. So whats the deal. I'm guessing a captain is legally responsible for the lives of his passengers in times like this and as such is bound by his obligations to stay on the ship and ensure "everyones" safe departure. Granted the situation was difficult but he should have stayed aboard if for no other reason to fulfill his obligations, even if his efforts were no longer effective, he still should have tried. I'd think loss of lives while making an effort wouldn't go as badly for him as it will now that we all can see he was safely in a life boat not wanting to get to close to the action.

14. Yobarnacle

Don't know Itallian law on this. So we'll learn.
    Had an american tug captain friend ended in court about 25 years ago. 5 drunks in a sportfisherman, passed between him and his tow off Milwaukee in restricted visibility. They hung on the tow wire and barge ran over them. All killed. There was a law suit by families. Coast Guard marched into civil court and converted it to a combination civil and Admiralty trial. I still think thats illegal but they did it.
    Three tables. Defense, Plaintive, and CG Prosecutors.
    Among other questions, CG asked, "Is it possible the 8D batteries powering the barge running lights may have dimmed in 24 hours since departing Chicago?" Capt agreed it was possible. BAM! Negligent Operation Homicide. Guilty! Gave him 10 years and revoked license.

Moral? If ever asked a "possible" question by authorities, don't be reasonable. They aren't! Say,"No Sir! Needed sunglasses to look at those lights!"

15. Submarine Tom

Roger, out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.