Extending hull under Euro transom Grady White 268

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frank Kacerek, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Frank Kacerek

Frank Kacerek New Member

I have a 268 Islander that I am considering extending to running surface of the hull to the transom. On this model the "bottom" stops at the scuppers and trim tabs. By extending it the result would be a hull similar to the newer 270 Islander.

Current boat has Yamaha F150's on it and could use the additional running surface and floatation to improve the ride.

Looking for ideas on how to approach this and maybe find someone in Cape May area to do the work or do it myself. Current thought is to leave trim tabs and drain plug where they are. Build out the structure off the existing hull, cover with fiberglass panels, foam fill the void and finish edges.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome. No I'm not considering buying a 270 Islander! Thanks...

IMG_0169.jpg

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

More pictures of the boat might help. I am not sure what is inspiring your plan, but it might not be as easy and successful as initially imagined.

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Mr Efficiency has hit the nail on the head.

Adding a false bottom is straight forward, but fairing it true is highly time consuming.

I haven't run the numbers, but how much performance different will a 1 or 2% change in bottom length or buoyancy make?

IMO the potential gains don't justify the efforts.
    But, please tell us exactly what is troubling your boat's ride. And how the false bottom will improve it.

4. Mr Efficiency

That is good advice, you can't "fix" a problem without clarifying what the problem is.

5. Frank Kacerek

Frank Kacerek New Member

Grady White changed the hull design around 2000 to accommodate the extra weight of the 4-stroke engines. Currently the boat could use more lift in the rear particularly at medium speeds. Its a 10 knot or 20 knot boat with nothing in-between. I would like to improve mid-range performance.

6. Mr Efficiency

You could "fill in" the pod to become a continuation of the bottom, but engine height will need to come right down with it, that could be a problem. My instinct would be to try bigger tabs before any surgery, I know they don't really kick in till at least 15 knots in a heavy type of boat, but with more size, it may help.