Laser - Force 5 Question

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BobBill, Aug 29, 2011.

1. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

I made that assumption, and did acquire a Force 5 sail as mast compatible, even though it is larger by a few square feet. That can be amended, I believe.

Hansen's sails may still be the ticket, with some adjustments...

As for the Laser Radial rig on the 5 mast, that is intended for the kids and some play...

I see Bill Hanson picked up on this and will have to email him next day or so...then we get to it.

2. brixvold

brixvold Junior Member

Do anyone have any other suggestions for a more optimal laser/seahopper sail?
    I've written to Hansen Sails but would like to know if there is something like it in Europe.
    I'm looking for prices on getting a sail done for a seahopper 2.

3. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

I have had the impression that Hanson is no longer making sails...but that may be wrong.

Why not a sleeved Laser Radial from Intensity Sails...good item and priced right? One could use the sleeve or use hook and loop fasteners with a grommet to bend the sail from yard and mast, etc.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=============
    What's a seahopper?

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

6. brixvold

brixvold Junior Member

I'm currently asking http://www.i-sails.com if they can help me with the slightly larger sail of the Yamaha Seahopper 2.

The Seahopper2 is a laser clone from Japan. Quite a few are to be found in Europe for some reason.
    This is the official site and measurements
    http://seahopper.net/modules/tinyd0/index.php?id=14

Roostersailing seem to have matching prices, couldn't hurt to ask them too, thanks.

I'll try European before I turn to US makers, it is such a hassle with customs getting stuff from over there.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Seahopper

Thanks! Good Luck...

8. brixvold

brixvold Junior Member

I got replies from roostersailing and i-sails, none of them where interested in doing a custom sail. Now I'm wondering if a lasersail might do the trick, the prices for custom sails around here are considerably higher.

9. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Read this back when yu first posted it and figured you would end up with a sleeved sail like Force 5s, Lasers etc use at some point. Economics.

If you decide to go that way, I would recommend going with the Laser's Radial first, as it is smaller but will do job and not overpower the rig or damage it...

Intensity.com sells them at very reasonable prices, as most stuff they advertise.

10. brixvold

brixvold Junior Member

Do you know where to find the measurements for the force 5 sail perchance?
    I asked intensity sails and they werent keen on providing me with an improper sail for my seahopper.

11. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Here is class link http://force5.us/main/index.php?opt...1:boat-arrangement&catid=48:rigging&Itemid=77

BUT, I would strongly suggest you use the Laser Radial sail, a bit smaller, but will not overpower you or stress your spars, which are likely not built to handle the F-5 sail, at 78 or whatever square feet...you want to sail, or bail?

If my mind is right, the luff of the 5 sail is 13 feet, 7 inches, but better check the site.

If your boom is moveable, any Laser or Force 5 sail will work. The Radial is a bit shorter and you might have to raise the boom and lengthen the outhaul, but neither is hard to do.

Know this, the Force 5 spars are substantial...I use them with my Kite as second set with Radial and 5 sails...I honestly do not think Laser or your spars are sturdy enough to use regularly with a 5 main...pics below give idea of Force 5 but will load later.

APS and other links have Laser sail/spar specs, am fairly sure.

Spars on different boat...the top section of the 5 was replaced with rebuilt carbon surfer mast...

I see the F-5 has a smaller sail, I would recommend check that and comparing to Radial and go with the one that has larger area, but will say I think the F-5 gear is more substantial than Laser, as are the hulls and so on.

In the pics below, while not shown, I think on my F-5 lower mast section has a steel base welded to the AL just below the filler in the last pic, but the weld is not so clear. As a ref, I believe the mast is 19 feet in OA height and weighs near 22 lbs or 10 kilos.

I found a pic that may show the steel bottom section, if that is what it is, with the crafted additions to fit Kite finished.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  12. brixvold

brixvold Junior Member

Unfortunately the force 5 class description says nothing about sail size.

I must have been sleeping at the helm, the seahoppers sail area is not that much bigger than the laser.

I'll get a laser sail, and maybe change the position of the boom.

Attached Files:

13. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

For the money, I do not think the Radial would be a bad choice. It will do the job and if the wind is up, not dunk you or kill you.

The large 5 sail is 91 square feet, the large or standard Laser is 72.

I mentioned stress on your spars, but the other side of the coin is the stress on the mast step, which can be substantial.

I figured you cannot go wrong with the Intensity Radial, as it will not require shorter mast etc.

I will review my files and if I can find the 5 sail dimensions, will post here for you and whomever needs. I think I got the info from Sailrite...and if I go out in the Kite with the 5 rig, I will measure the luff and foot...and post.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.