Laser as Fair Indicator

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BobBill, Jun 14, 2010.

1. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Surely, this idea is not novel, but for what it is worth.

I used a small Ryobi do-it-yourself laser to check hull fairness and reveal flat spots on ancient Kite Class dinghy I am refitting.

If you review the photos, you will note what Laser use in this way reveals.

You look closely, you will note the flat spot on the hull bottom is revealed easily and can be marked accurately.

Seems nifty way to check hull fairness.

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Are you using a revolving laser beam so that it will project across a section as shown? Nifty scheme, tell us more about the implementation.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

No need for a revolving beam, just a thin line scribed in a piece of glass will produce a line projection from a normally circular laser beam.

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Laser Beam for Hull Fairing

This little Ryobi device just shoots a beam horizontal or perpendicular whichever way you point it, and its properties reveal surface irregularities.

If it revolves, I do not know. It makes noise, which I think is a small vacuum motor. It is fully adjustable, sticks to glass and can be set on a tripod or pinned to the wall or hung on a belt. It also has two levels to help align and the laser can be adjusted.

I used for picture frames and in the yard to line up edges...and to be sure my trailer tracks with my car. Its potential for such work seems endless.

Am sure it is sold by Home Depot etc.

I tried it out the other day to see if it would reveal hull irregularities and does that very nicely.

That is about all I can tell you about it.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Thanks. I have such a device in my shop but I have not imagined all its marvelous uses. Excuse me I am going to my shop now. I have to tinker with the laser that lives there.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks,BobBill-that is a neat idea and intrigues me enough to go buy one. I've needed just such an excuse!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.