Just to say hi

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Keen Student!!, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Keen Student!!

Keen Student!! New Member

hi there everyone, just thought id post to say hello. im a student at Southampton Institute studying Yacht Manufacturing and Surveying (including design).i am in the second year,just hoping i can join in with some of the chat as im in the middle of a massive learning curve! thanks
    matt

2. blue heron

blue heron Guest

fishing for an answer

Keen,
    here is food for thought for you. In my experience a wider beam on a boat tends to pound less in heavy sea conditions than a narrower beamed boat of the same length. My theory is that I actually "Feel" less force because the impact force is spread out over a wider area, and therefor there is less force per square cm translating through. and that makes me thing this way. BUT, all things being equal (deadrise, LOA, etc) will a wider beamed boat pound less than a narrower beam? is there a principle that applies here? or am I just fishing for an answer based on my experience?

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Yes..... :)

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

or am I just fishing for an answer based on my experience? Ponders naval...

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Keen,
    THere are plenty of us in here who are (or will be soon) graduates of the Southampton course. I started in 1978 (shows age :)) when it was still called the SouthamptonCollege of Technology. Still a good course.
    Steve Baker

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.