Flying Boat Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dubisgamer, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dubisgamer

Dubisgamer New Member

Okay guys i got a 1969 Glastron Fireflite that i want to make flyable, have it takeoff in the water, it is about 800lbs if not less, but im wondering how much horsepower motor would i need for the engines, not including a boat motor?:confused:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean flyable? The data I have on this boat - the raw hull is in the 500 pound range, before tanks, controls, steering, engine and crew. So, a 250 pound engine and small fuel tank, a skinny 150 pound skipper, a few hundred more pounds for assorted bits of equipment and you want to make this nearly half a century old boat do what? Really? Have a look at a Rotax 914 iC, appropriate prop, a big set of wings and go for it, though some life insurance would be a good suggestion on launch day.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

OP must have watched that Bond film with the flying Glastron boat, imo.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Please define the word; "flyable'. How high do you want to fly? How fast? A Cessna with floats is more practical if you must fly. A Glasstron makes a poor airplane.

5. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

Maybe he needs to watch the pixar movie 'UP' :p

6. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

Seriously though, I think you're starting in the wrong place.

There was a 'toy' a few years back which used surface effect and had a maximum altitude of about 15 feet, and sort of half skimmed half bounced. Can't remember what it was called but I'll google it - I suspect that might be the best case performance model.

There are some amphibious kit-planes out there if you want to build something - how about a searey (No Not a SeaRay) for 37 grand?

http://searey.com/our-aircraft/searey-lsx-kit

Then you could use the glasstron to paddle out to the plane.

7. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

The first thing the OP should do is to ditch the heavy plastic boat and find a light aluminum or plywood boat. And the focus of this project should be the wing and power ... not the "boat".

9. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I think what you are referring to was called a 'flarecraft'. It used surface effect to stay airborne. It required about half as much wing area and about half as much hp as a true airplane of the same weight. Its maximum altitude was limited to half its wing span.

So, I guess it was, to an airplane, what a flying squirrel is to a bird.

I can almost imagine one of those in a crowded harbor :-

I think it evolved from a Soviet weapon system that the West labelled as a "Caspian Monster". It was supposed to be able to fly over sea mines, which would probably encircle the Soviet coast, in the event of war, while carrying more men and material than a real airplane its size.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look this guy can't be serious, either that or he's really young and without a clue about the dynamics, let alone the physics involved.

Andy, UP was a spectacular movie, one of my favorites.

11. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

The one I was thinking of was more like a microlite but it's not important - the crazy thing is they don't need a pilots licence (or common sense or any form of self preservation instinct) :p - I watched one from the beach for about 3/4 of an hour and thought it to be great fun as a spectator sport. :eek:

I do remember that they had to add a section to the collision regs to cover ekranoplans/ WIG/ Ground effect 'vessels'.

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Dubisgamer:

Ok, now that you have had your daily amount of bashing for having started the thread with too little info about your project, can you be more specific about what would you like to get?

First question: what do you mean by "flying"? Flying with wings or "flying" on foils?
    Second question: how much money and time can you spend for this project?

I'm afraid that you'll have to put some more effort into explaining your goals before getting a reasonably useful replies from the forum members.

Cheers

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I don't think this "project" has the makings of a serious endeavour, though it may be marginally more likely to come to fruition than the incredible "submarine train" !

14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

You can buy a zodiac with a rotax and microlite wing which flys really well.

15. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Going from a lack of info I'd guess he wants ground effects like the Russian Ekranoplans.

If you don't mind keeping an outboard leg in the water,it's IMO the best way instead of actually taking off.

Get some wings,and be sure to post pix of your build and the youtube video of the takeoff.

Insurance companies have all sorts of ways and language to avoid paying out,I'm sure they would deem your endeavour to be delinquent and beyond the realms of coverage.