Larger lenght to beam ratio vs weight

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by ToMy, Jun 29, 2022.

1. ToMy

ToMy Junior Member

So, lets assume that we have two single engine round bilged semi displacement boats both around 11m (~36ft) long, and have a bottom loading of ~ 250kg/m2 or 51lbs/sqft. (calculated with my very rough formula: ((lenght x beam) - 10%) : weight
    But the other one is narrower, and lighter, because we wanted to keep the same bottom loading.

Boat 1:
    Lenght at waterline: 11m / 36ft
    Beam at waterline: 3.6m / 11ft 9.7 in
    Lenght to beam ratio: 3.05
    Weight: 8900kg / 19 621lbs
    Bottom loading: ~250kg/m2 / 51lbs/sqft

Boat 2:
    Lenght at waterline: 11m / 36ft
    Beam at waterline: 3.1m / 10ft 2in
    Lenght to beam ratio: 3.55
    Weight: 7700kg / 16 975lbs
    Bottom loading: ~250kg/m2 / 51lbs/sqft

So, the question is, which one of these two would be more seaworthy/comfortable in rough weather?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I don't think your question can be answered with the data you give, since everything will depend, to a great extent, on the shapes of the boats. but while someone risks an answer, could you tell me what you call "bottom loading" and what causes it?

jehardiman likes this.
  3. ToMy

ToMy Junior Member

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

ToMy, TANSL is correct when he says that there is not enough information to tell. Seaworthiness is dependent on too many other factors. Additionally, because the volumetric Froude numbers are too different between the hulls; bottom loading for planing comparisons is rather moot. Realistically, from Savitsky's work, Series 62, and Series 64 hull forms, I'd say a 11m x 3.1m 8900kg hull form would have better seakeeping at speed rather than some arbitrary pixie dust bottom loading comparison. I would suggest you get a copy of High Speed Small Craft by Peter du Cane (revised 1974 edition) for a discussion of what makes a seaworthy planing vessel.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I didn't know that ratio. Frankly, I always thought that estimating a hull's ability to plane was a lot more complicated. Everyday you learn something new.
    Thanks a lot.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

For what purpose?
    And by "bottom loading" - you are really saying - the same hydrostatic pressure on the bottom??

But this:
    Suggest so...which indicates a change in draft....so i assume you simply 'played' about to get the same hydrostatic pressure per unit area?
    But the hydrostatic Pressure = rho.g.h.
    h = draft.
    So if the boat no.2 has a different draft.. how can it have the same "bottom loading" as you call it?

In addition to the comments above.
    Seakeeping is terrible complex and involves many variables. If it could have been dumbed down into a single one liner - then it would have been done so decades ago. But it hasn't!

Boat no.1 has an LD ratio of 5.31 and boat no.2 has an LD ratio of 5.57....peanuts between them in reality.
    Why is this important?
    Because the higher the LD ratio the lower the vertical accelerations. But the difference between the two hulls is extremely minor.

upload_2022-6-30_15-41-29.png

So, bottom line is.. as noted above.. insufficient data and you're over generalising a very complex subject.

TANSL, baeckmo and jehardiman like this.
  7. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

looks similar to wing loading for planes !

8. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

Obviously, he speaks about planing craftys, so dynamic pressure load, not hydrostatic !

9. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

Sorry, crafts ,

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It may be similar in some aspect but, in reality, they are totally different effects, those that occur in a body moving totally submerged in a fluid (in the case of the wing of an airplane) and that of a partially submerged, static, object (in the case of the hull of aboat). The article is a demonstration of how words can be put together to give a pseudoscientific explanation, as if some new idea were being contributed, when in reality they are only talking about hydrostatic pressure (I think it doesn't even take hydrodynamics into account).

Jimboat likes this.
  11. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Edit: Xpost.
    Airplanes are nothing similar to high speed planing vessels.... S**t, caught by a troll. Suffice to say, totally different, especially in a seaway. Wait, TANSL said it much better.

12. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

Agree with both of you, in addition, bottom pressure loading on planing crafts depends on velocity !

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Not if you look at the link he provided as 'his' definition of such:

"...Definition
    Bottom loading is the displacement mass divided by the area of the planing surface..."

So that is a no to hydrostatic pressure and a no to dynamic pressure.

14. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

He must define also the area of the planing surface : wetted bottom area at speed or at rest ?
    the first depends on the velocity , the second don't make sense as planing area !

15. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Looking at the website ToMy quotes...
    This is similar to many other quaint and curious design ratios of yore....i.e. it works well with empirically derived coefficients dealing with a single hull shape of given geometry but is totally useless given modern methods. Might as well use Circle C or Admiralty Coefficient....just as useful.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.