large single person multi oar boat usual materials used

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vallen, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Vallen

Vallen Junior Member

The thing is I've just moved to hawaii

I want to build a 25 feet long by 7 feet wide by 5feet deep base off of ancient creek bireme style row boat with two outrigers. This style of boat this size is noramily manned by 6 oars men and a helmsman for steering but I want help to design a single person version

this boat materials wil be pvc pipe and heat fused lamanent made out of pvc contruction pastic sheeting and duct tape.The process is easy you justuse the dut tape to temporarily attach the sheeting to the framework. Every 2 layers use a heatgun to fuse the layers then do this 15 times this will make an inch thick. The reason i mention this is to aid in the design of the ship

Sorry i cant upload photos ftom this dino phone but here il try to lay out the design as best i can
    I plan to use 3 " pvc pipe and T 90 and 45 joints to create the frame
    Xrepresents the points where I fuse the pvc wiith hevy duty zips ties in 4 different ways
    1o feet back T ten feet back 90
    90 45 T
    2feet 90 2 feet
    T keel keel X 7 feet wide keel T
    2feet 90 2 feet
    90 45 T
    10 feet back T ten feet back 90

Now i was thinking for to row the boat t would use three large oars put them on pvc pipe slide basicly put a free sling small pipe through a big pipe T joints add handles to the end and with some pratice it might work hopefuly
    What do you think so far

2. Vallen

Vallen Junior Member

Sorry iment unsual not usual

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Based on your proposed dimensions, the boat will row not much better than a barge.

4. Vallen

Vallen Junior Member

That's why I asked what Kentucky with depth whould you is I'm trying to make the biggest single person row boat I can along with my other already started project

5. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

The number of oars is largely irrelevant.
    You can't generate the horsepower of 6 oarsmen. Something on the proportions you suggest will row very poorly. It will be heavy, with lots of wetted surface and the hull probably won't be 'fair' between supports.
    With a single rower you'll have difficulty making any progress at all against wind or current

6. Vallen

Vallen Junior Member

Oh well ill just focus on my bigger project

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.