Jim Young Rocket 780

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Sailmb, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Sailmb

Sailmb Junior Member

I have been researching a lot of sport boats & came across the Jim Young deisgned Rocket 780. I have seen that a number have been modified to fly asym's am really interested in purhaps doing that but I cannot find any dimensions. Does any have the basic dimensions? LOA, LWL, SA, Displ, etc?
    thanks, Cam

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Here it is - check through the archives - the 780 Rocket has been covered here before.

Attached Files:

3. Sailmb

Sailmb Junior Member

Thanks Gary. I have searched the archives & maybe its a user problem but the threads I have found don't really give me any numbers. I know a lot of the boats we home made but I am still hoping someone might be able to supply the design numbers. I am really hoping someone knows the actual numbers for the LOA, LWL, Disp, SA & any other dim's that are interesting.

4. Gary Baigent

Well Sailmb, Jim is arriving here in the next half hour - because we're working on a book of his designs and history - so you'll get a reply from the man himself soon. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gary Baigent

25 feet x 8 feet x 7 feet draft board down / 9" lifted, displacement 1500lbs, sail area: 320 sq.ft. Plans US900.00 - email Jim at: annejim.y@xtra.co.nz

6. Sailmb

Sailmb Junior Member

Rocket 780

Thanks Gary, I emailed Jim to ask for a few more specifics. I really like the 780 & since my building skills are confinded to minor fiberglass repairs, I would more the likely look to buy one in your half of the world & have it shipped. then modify it as needed. Thanks again.
    Cam (San Francisco, USA)

7. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

I did a search and I can't find much on the 780... I really would like to hear more about the original plywood 780 design... better yet I would love to see a picture of one... 1500 lbs for a 25 foot boat? that is light!

8. mojounwin

mojounwin Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.