Large capacity, slow revving 5-700hp engines

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Landlubber, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes its not just a fuel supply but extremely high pressure rail supply. the injectors are fast moving solenoids .

If you think thats good the same thing is coming for valves,--electronic valves, valves that dont need cam shaft, followers, or oil in the cylinder head. Lift duration and timing all controlled electronically. Less friction more power. Is this the end of the petrol engine. I think so myself.

Think about that!!! coupled with the common rail system, your engine can be at the flick of a switch 2 stroke /4 /or8 you can have perfect valve timing at all RPM. Maybe just a few cylinders being used, and efficient engine breaking.

We've been stuck with valve timing coupled to crankshaft rotation for a 100 years, this is a break through.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yep, and expensive, but you are right, no matter how you call it, the old engine has not really changed at all has it. The poor piston still has to go to TDC, stop, and come flying down to BDC, stop and go back again for more punishment.

Wonderful things really eh! Ya got ta luv em!

3. singleprop

singleprop Junior Member

Deutz BF8M1015

Try deutz BF8M1015MC which is 16 liters V8 engine with mechanical fuel control, Tier 2 compliant.

These engines look really good too (V-configuration) but might be on the small side of your project.

Singleprop

4. tkinak

tkinak Junior Member

Probably a little late with this:

Until they perfect it the less wires the better for this kid! I've had MTU, Cats and Detroit common rail engines and spent big $$$$$$$ getting techs here to "upgrade" That's a term for the customer doing the R and D in the field.

I can't say enough about how the Lugger 6140 performs, it's old school and just keeps on ticking. I work on a fleet of boats and we have 38 6140's rated from 550 hp to 650. We run them at 2000 to 2050 in front of jets. It's a Komatsu industrial engine converted in the US. I see a few dealers in Au.

The 6170 would fit your application better, bigger and slow. We've acquired a vessel with 6170's to be delivered next month. I have no 6170 experience but I hear good things about that model also. If you want real slooooow look at Gardner.

http://www.northern-lights.com/
    Marine Engineering Consultants Pty., Ltd.
    Unit C17
    Gold Coast City Marina
    Waterways Drive
    Coomera, QLD 4209
    Australia
    Phone: 61-07-5502-8811
    Fax: 61-07-5502-8822
    E-Mail: info@marineeng.com.au
    www.marineeng.com.au

J-Mac Pty, Ltd
    8 Erskine Road, Taren Point
    Sydney, Australia 2229
    Phone: 61-2-9524 3034
    Fax: 61-2-9524 3167
    E-Mail: j-mac@bigpond.net.au
    Web: www.j-mac.com.au

http://www.gardnermarinediesels.com/

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Ah, I knew that Komatsu sold one of their blocks at least to an engine builder, so it is the Northern lights, thanks for that. I am still doing this project, the boat has grown from 100 feet to 120 now, but that is only a money problem, we are still doing the project.

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

old Schule not necessarily best schule
    When i was Cummins field service in 70,s I used to go service Komatsu dozers in field, guess what, they had Cummins Engines
    Northern lights? Tiny place in Seattle takin blocks and marinising
    fOR ME i PREFER BACK UP Cummins are so very good at this JapAn, they tried copy so much, but never ever quite got it right
    Is a lexus a Benz?

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

lazyjack,

No mate a Lexus is certainly not a Benz.

You rearely see a Lexus in the workshop being fixed up all the time under warranty like a Benz.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You can buy piston return springs that fit on top of the piston and the cylinder head.

It lle help that tired o'le piston in making its way back down again for another squeeze.

Ille look up the web site.

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

6 Cyl Inline

Interesting conversations. I wanted to make a posting so I could keep track of this subject thread.

Question? Isn't the 6 cylinder inline configuration still the most inherently well balanced engine configuration ever??

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

brian,

The Komatsu is a six, it is a sweeet motor in earthmoving equipment, and runs at constant max torque rpm, same as a boat engine (should).

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Question? Isn't the 6 cylinder inline configuration still the most inherently well balanced engine configuration ever??

The 3 cylinder engine is inherently in balance , so any combination of 3 like a 6 or 12 is as good as it gets.

Most mfg prefer the 6 configuration and simply change the cylinder size 1/2 liter 1 l 2l what ever is needed.

The 6 cylinder, 6 liter is fairly common in the truck industry and could be a great source of a donor.

AS the engines get bigger the mfg will extend the stroke to have a longer time to get that last bit of energy , which also reduces the engines RPM , to keep piston speeds rational.

FF

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Check ABC Anglo Belgium Corporation. They have a three cylinders 60 liters 120 Hp @ 400 Rpm the weight is 5 tons. They have several rage of these slow turning ship engine, this one is the smallest.
    The price with a transmission was $120,000 six years ago if my memory is good.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.