NBS - Nordic Boat Standard

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by augucap, Jun 30, 2004.

1. augucap

augucap New Member

I'm looking for the Nordic Boat Standard, mentioned in the Larsson book, but I don't know where I can buy them on the web.

Anyone can help me?

Are NBS in English?

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Contact Sorendfk or ErikG (to be found in the members list), they must be abble to help you on your way.

3. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Sorry, but I can't help you.

The last version of the Nordic Boat Standard (original title: Nordisk Båt Standard) was published by Det norske Veritas (DnV) in 1990. Maybe your local library can find it for you, but that won't be of much help, unless you read Norwegian, because it was - as far as I know - only published in Norwegian.

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Det Norske Veritas have offices in most countries. The rules (standards) have changed and are now tentative awaiting the full implementation and availability of the new ISO rules. For rig design the NBS rules are reproduced in full in Larsson &..... the remainder of the rules are prety much the same as all the other societies. Much of the ABS rules are downloadable (or used to be ) for free.

Italy would I think be fully adopting the ISO rules. The ISo rules seem slightly lighter than the other existing ones so you would be safe designing to any older std.

Hope this helps

5. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I think have heard somewhere that the tentative rules have been withdrawn. If this is not true, you can get them from any DnV office (and they are in English!)
    If you're after rules for rig design, there are none in the tentative rules.

6. tonypearce

tonypearce Junior Member

Nordic Boat Standard

the DnV can be got in English.
    Larsson and Eliasson, either have a new version, or have elucidated it somewhat.
    the version of DnV that I have may be an earlier version, but it makes no mention of reducing the moments of the panels towards their ends.

My assessment of the NBS is that it has many shortcomings.
    If you were to follow the process described by Larsson and Eliasson in "Principles of Yacht Design", for the mast panel requirements, you will find that when you get to the top, there is no load when sailing at supposedly a heel of 30 degrees.

what has happened to the compressive loads from the forestay and the backstay????

For a reasonable performance yacht, the halyard loads themselves contribute 20% of the compression in the first panel, and thus a greater percentage in the upper panels.

This alone tells me that the NBS and Larsson and Eliasson precedures are determining insufficient panel strengths in all but the lowest panel.

If you want a good approach that includes the loading from the sails, then that of Pierre Gutelle is effective.
    "Architecture du Voilier", Tome II: Pierre Gutelle.
    (Design of Yachts, Volume II)
    Unfortunately it is in French, but I have had translated the appropriate chapter and find it a useful discussion on the design of yacht masts.

If the new ISO rule includes determining the design for yacht masts by the process of :?: the NBS or Larsson and Eliasson, then they will have it wrong.

It would be well worth the effort considering the Gutelle process, even though I have detected a minor error in it.

Anthony Pearce,
    Australia.
    tonypearce@bigpond.com