Lapstrake multi-purpose "canoe" plan options

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by garren, Mar 23, 2009.

1. garren

garren Junior Member

I've researched the archives and the internet and have not found a satisfactory boat plan that seems to serve my intended purposes. Maybe it doesn't exist.

I live beside a small lake in Billings, and the Yellowstone River (class 1-2+) flows through town. There are many other lakes and rivers (class 1-2+) within a couple of hours. I want to build a "canoe-like" lapstrake boat that can be paddled efficiently by two on lakes and "rowed," driftboat-style, on rivers. I think that means three seats - one for each paddler and one near the middle for rowing.

Is there a plan for such a beast? How wide must the beam be to accommodate oars? I'm thinking 14-16' range and hopefully less than 100 pounds.

I am an amateur woodworker and have an adequate supply of power and hand tools. I have canoed a bit on rivers and lakes and have rowed rafts and driftboats on larger, class 3-4, rivers.

I would appreciate any links or references to plans and ideas on accommodating these two purposes with one boat. Any other advice or information would be appreciated.

Gary Davis

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

You may find something that will work for both. But not very well. Drift boats have a lot of rocker and are wide. C2's have little rocker and are narrow.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Did you mean a drift boat or just a regular rowing boat? A drift boat resembles a dory and intended for use on a fast moving river, nothing at all like a canoe. If you build a canoe, i.e., long and narrow, it is too narrow for rowing but it can probably be fitted with outriggers like a rowing shell. But like the mustache says, it might not do either job very well.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Sounds like a long and narrow rowing boat, something around 17 ft and 3 ft beam. There are many out there in lapstrake. Try Tom Hill, Duckworks, and google fast rowboats.
    They are very canoe-like, but to be narrow they usually use outriggers to row. Usually easily detached.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

6. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

I tried designing a boat like you describe; I wasn't successful. To row you need about 40" beam; to paddle you need a narrow beam and tumblehome is helpful. Have you considered an Adirondack guideboat-type design? They are row only but very fast, easy gliding, light, maneuverable, and carry a good load. I built one of those and have been very happy with it.

7. garren

garren Junior Member

Thanks all for the advice. I'm looking at adirondack guideboats and a couple other designs. Any other advice is appreciated.

Gary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.