From Oman With Love

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by safia, Nov 20, 2004.

1. safia

safia New Member

Hi,

I'm from Oman, I started sailing last year and since than I'm thinking of how can I build a dinghy boat, cos of my age people are not taking me seriously! They think I'm just jokking with them! I searched fr alot of info's about boat building, some of them are reall good and some are complicated, ould anybody help me?

2. safia

safia New Member

I want simple info's without spending alot of money cos I just started saving money??

3. Bob Smalser

Bob Smalser Junior Member

We lived in your neck of the woods for almost a decade.

I was stationed in Muscat from 1996 to 1998, rehabbed the boats and sailed in the Oman Navy's annual barka race that ends the Dubai-Muscat yacht race, and did a bit of work for the Omani Coast Guard.

My family adored Oman...especially the people.

If we could have retired there, we would have.

One of the great secret Edens of the world.

4. safia

safia New Member

Thanks for your nice words you wrote about my country, well in the past three years alot of things have changed in my country such as, the sailing race you wrote about is now from Dubai to Marina Bandar Al-Rodha near Al-Bustan Palace. There will be a new marina in Muscat, I think there will be alot of more chances for people who would like sail any kind of sailing boat. I started sailing last year and became the first Omani sailor last September, I started sailing at PDO club in Ras Al-Hamra I raced in Oman first Hobie-cat 16 sailing championship and I raced in other small races, it is shock for people here to see girl sail boat, they say that I shouldn't do that cos I'm a girl, but I just don't listen to what they say cos I know that I love what I'm doing and it's a good a thing. Whenever you feel that you want to come and visit my country just know that you are most welcome "Marhaba"

Note: If you would like to see some of the sailing photos just e-mail me and I'll send them to you!!

5. baliano

baliano Junior Member

6. Bob Smalser

Bob Smalser Junior Member

I'd recommend you look at these boats as a first effort:

A "one station skiff" or flat-bottomed rowboat.

http://www.glen-l.com/

http://www.swanboatdesign.com/index.html

http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/skiff.htm

A pram dinghy:

http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/Stories/features/SimpleBoatFolder/6chaptersix.html

A "six-hour canoe" or pirogue.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jim/piragua/index.htm

http://www.bateau.com/free/freeplans.htm

These can be done relatively quickly and inexpensively in plywood, and are great training events for moving up to something more complicated.

7. Scary_Des

Scary_Des Junior Member

In the UK some of our best sailers are girls, Ellen Mcarthur www.teamellen.com to name just one if you enjoy it go for it. Des

8. baliano

baliano Junior Member

Bob, I agree with you that a stitch & glue boat goes together quicker than a conventional, I've built Bateau's FL-14 and am now building the "Buddy" from Science & Mechanics. I find each has its own unique problems and I actually prefer the custom fitting associated with conventional construction over the unforgiving problems that can arise with epoxy and tape. I don't feel either should cause a beginner any fear, they simply require careful planning and patience. No particular skill is required in either case beyond the ability to cut a line as intended. There is additional handplane work needed in a conventional boat but it's no worse than filleting and fairing an epoxied hull and I find it much more enjoyable. I say find a boat you like and go for it, just keep to a managable project size.

9. safia

safia New Member

Hi baliano,

I liked the Blue Moon, it looks like a strong boat I'm thinking o starting to sail in the keel boat at the moment but not in my country, cos we don't have sailing school's which provide this kind of boats!

10. baliano

baliano Junior Member

Safia, the Blue Moon is a good looking boat, a lot more than the dinghy you mentioned at first but certainly managable. Be aware these magazine plans leave out details so you will have to fill them in by carefully studying the plans and drawing full size patterns. If you do a full set of patterns it helps to "dry fit" everything and see that all will go together properly, expect to make adjustments. If there is a boatyard there that would be willing to look at the plans and could offer some advice at the beginning it might save you wasted time and material. Good luck and send progress pictures.

11. shadya

shadya New Member

hi

hi safia..it nice to see that u have high interest in sailling..iam an Omani my self..i love sailling and have been doing alot of it..but havent tryed sailling in Oman...if u like we can sail together when iam back for summer...

12. timoneira

timoneira New Member

Hello Safia,

I was wondering if you know of any yacht designers or naval architects based in Oman, or if there are any boatyards there that build yachts.

I'm asking because I'm currently in France studying naval architecture. I'm also a girl, and there's not many of us interested in actually designing or building boats. I've thought that Oman would be an interesting place for a naval architect or yacht designer to open shop, because it seems that boating is a growing activity over there, and also business seems to be doing well (rich businessmen = potential buyers for mega yachts... $$$..).

Also I would like to know how easy it is for a woman to set up a business in Oman. I don't know if you have any answers, but if you don't know, any pointers as to where to ask these questions would already be a big help!

Thanks!

By the way... any progess on your boat building plans?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.