steel / aluminum 52m radius chine - modular build?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by rlackey, Feb 12, 2010.

1. rlackey

rlackey Junior Member

Hi all,

I'm designing a 52m radius chine hull for aluminum or steel construction (probably aluminum but depends on budget for the build) and would like to ask if anyone has experience with any form of modular construction?

I'm thinking of breaking the hull up into sections that can be built separately and then transported separately by road for quick (relatively speaking) assembly, welding and paint before fitting out.

Is this a good idea? A terrible idea?

This is to make the project a more manageable home build (I know... who's ever home built a 52m yacht... but that's another discussion) and to cut costs by allowing sections to be built at home slowly from CNC cut plate (over a period of years) in available space, and then only incur costs at a shipyard for a limited time in a final assembly and finishing period.

I need some experienced voices of reason to encourage me one way or the other. If it's viable, then it affects things now at the design stage.

Thanks,

Rich

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

yes it can be done, especially simple now that we have CAD before this it required very good lofting skills
    go look up bosand carr builders NZ, they do it all in sections
    But all said and done they were building ships like this 60 years ago, nothing is new really

3. rlackey

rlackey Junior Member

Yep, the technology certainly makes it a whole lot easier now though. CAD design and CNC cutting/machining and it's like building a 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle, even at 52m LOA.

Thanks for the response.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.