My first boat, a vintage dinghy.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Seafra, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Seafra

Seafra Sailing Nerd

Just picked this up a couple days ago. It's a 1961 Mader built Flying Dutchman. From what I understand, the construction is hot moulded plywood all encased in epoxy, rigging is spruce, topsides are mahogany ply. Not the most traditional wooden boat ever built, but, she's really fast and easy on the eyes. I'm pretty much in love, but as you'll be able to tell from the pictures(coming soon), there's plenty of work that needs to be done to give this boat new life.

I will, doubtless, be posting in here for some tips and advice from the wealth of knowledgeable and experienced wooden boat guys that frequent these boards.

Not to give away my age too much here, but it's strange to own a boat which was made the same year that my mom was born....;)

Edit: Here are some pics (a bit on the large size)
    Looks like a mess
    the previous owner partially stripped the topsides before losing steam
    runs and squished glue everywhere

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008