build or buy new

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by couchcaptain, Aug 3, 2008.

1. couchcaptain

couchcaptain Junior Member

I am considering building an Elco 26 from a Weston Farmer plan. I have cabinet making skills but have never built a boat before. I can see my first problem will be coming up with a structure to build in. Beyond that, I am sold on cold molded hulls for strength, weight and durability features and would want to incorporate this into the boat. My problem is the 3-5 years I imagine it would take to finish the project. This is where my question lies: Is it practical to buy a used boat and convert the hull to a cold molded variety, or if I had it done at a shop, would it cost well beyond the value of the boat when it was finished? If I did get a used boat(Under 30') I feel I could easily repair or redo the topside, motor, etc.. but the facilities needed to do the hull would put it out of reach for a home job. Thanks in advance

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

couchcaptain,

Sorry mate, I am a bit lost in you required output of buying a used hull....do you intend to laminate over it or something, using the used hull as a mould, or are you thinking that you can alter the shape by cold moulding over the current shape.

3. couchcaptain

build new or buy used

Thanks for the reply, I guess my real question is if it is practical to buy a used wooden boat and strip the hull away and apply a cold molded replacement. The cost to do that might be disproportianate to the total value of the boat.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't think a used hull, in a good enough condition to use as a plug, so you can mold a new hull would be economically wise.

A molded hull frame isn't particularly difficult to build, usually being made from scraps, furring strips and other junk wood. It just needs to support the first few layers of molded hull shell. This is a far cry from disassembling a sound hull of it's equipment, cabinets, furniture, etc., flipping it over, blocking it up then stapling a new hull over it's flanks.

If you where to "modify" one of the older designs like the Elco series, then discuss your construction changes and modifications with a designer, to insure your boat will float where you hope on launch day. A molded build, for example can eliminate much if not all of the longitudinal framing elements, but you need to know which ones can come out and which need to stay in.

My recommendation would be buy a set of plans intended for a molded build or to have set of plans "converted" by a designer.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

well PAR, that just about says it all, couldn't agree more.

I can sort of understand his idea, just not really economically viable to carry it out, as you say, the framing is surely going to be heaps cheaper than buying a boat and stripping it.

6. couchcaptain

build new or buy used

Thanks for the responses. I did not think of consulting a designer with the plans but that would be good insurance to make sure the thing will float when it is done.

7. PAR

It will likely float, but it's very likely it wouldn't the way you expected (bow down, bow up, listing, etc.), which really can piss you off on launch day.

These types of conversion are done all the time (I'm doing a traditional lapstrake to glued lap conversion now) and aren't terribly costly. The net result is what you pay for typically. In other words, a low buck route to the conversion may provide up dated plans, with the method you desire, but incorporate none of the benefits the new method can bring to the table.

On the other side of the coin is the lap to glued lap conversion I'm working on (for example). It makes the boat much lighter, eliminates all of the steam bent frames, floors and the stringers, replacing them with some bulkheads and cockpit seating. The weight savings, means less materials to buy, the parts reduction means fewer pieces to cut and assemble. The weight saved has been placed in the ballast, increasing it's stability and sail carrying ability.

This is using the advantage of the newer method, to best usage for the application (a 22' sloop in this case). There are several different approaches to "molded" construction, so be specific when you talk to the designer or NA or pick their brain a little to see which molded method suits you best.

8. couchcaptain

Build new or buy used

Well I think it would sure make things easier for me if I were to bring the plans to a designer and have them do the changes first. Like you said, it should eliminate some work and bring the benefits of the cold molded hull with it.
    Is there anyone on this site that you could suggest that would be qualified to change the Elco 26 boat plans to include the hull update?
    Thanks for your time...

9. PAR

There are several here that can perform the conversion, including myself. Click on my name (or any other that you may be interested in) and contact me through email.