Lanolin for waterproofing a deck

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Schoonerman, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Schoonerman

Schoonerman Junior Member

We are trying to waterproof the deck of an Indonesian Pinisi Schooner and have settled on two sheets of marine play pasted with a sealent product then covered with "Lanolin" then plastic bisqueen then applying our teak deck. The question is .................where can we source Lanolin ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.............Australia maybe ??

Robin
    SongLine Yachts, Jakarta

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Lanocote is commercial lanolin-pusher.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

lanacoat from NZ is the best product for use on all manner of threads gaskets etc, that is made, natural sheep oil product comes in various , thick, heavy of spray
    Especially good on ss threads in aluminium, never sets and comes out years later

5. Schoonerman

Schoonerman Junior Member

Lanacoat is the product name and I will check this out !

Thanks much !

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

I am concerned about your method of use of materials. Applying a plastic sheet material over the ply is very suspect regarding future ply rot problems. The plastic sheeting will just sweat in the sun, no moisture transfer (well very little), so I would rethink the whole shooting match.
    How do you intend to fasten down the teak decking?
    I have used Lanolin for decades, it has protected my dive gear rubbers since 1960's, and I still have my old twin hose set, the rubber is still soft and not cracked. I also use it on wood and metal working machinery, excellent rust preventative. Also good for welding as there are no splatter marks.
    Inox, in Southport Queensland make a product called Lanox, which is a chandy of the two. I love Inox, it is the best product like, CRC, WD40 or RP7, only FAR superior. My wife's Diahatsu Charade (now with MUM) is 16 years old and the cadmium plated metal parts are as new, still shiny with no white spots. It is a truely remarkable product. When used on an outboard though, leave the cover off overnight to allow the solvents to dissolve, or it could damage the rubber hoses. The product is OK, just the pressure pak solvents.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.