landrover discovery engine

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by WILKO123, Mar 21, 2009.

1. WILKO123

WILKO123 New Member

i have a picton 21 cruiser with a bmw mk 2 stern drive, with a convertion plate to the box for a diesel landrover discovery motor , any ideas how to cool the engine ,its not marinised.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You are going to have to build a wet exhaust manifolds and if using in salt water will need to direct enging cooling and exhaust through a heat exchanger that is sized for the load. Google marine heat exchangers and marine manifolds to see what they look like. Also, if the diesel puts out it's power at higher rpms you will need to change the cam or cams. Again, google marniising an auto engine. There is a lot to it and much to read re: gas engines. Re: diesels, You will probably find less material. It is not an enexpensive undertaking.

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

200 or 300 tdi I assume ..over here in australia they pump raw water through the stern drive motors ....not too happy with the aluminium content of the motor with salt water...if you need motor information let me know....change the cam belt !!! I can also tell you how to get another 25 BHP from it.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

What is a Land Rover Discovery Engine ? A little better description would make probably a sensible answer.

5. hartley

hartley Junior Member

Not exactly correct pistnbroke,a mercruiser engine ,which I remember from the late seventies was actually a GM design,it was called a mexican chev,actually made in mexico,this was heat exchanger cooled ,I believe there were others ,but it was a long time ago.the chev manifolds were raw water cooled ,a poor system,unlike quality designs like the detroit which had fresh water cooled manifolds.IMHO all stern drives are absolute dogs ,by the way pistnbroke your face looks familiar??? is it thumbs up for Anna or????
    cheers hartley

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

yes like 40 years ago ......!!! the avatar is big bob and that usless ana blight has got in again ...she aint no magi thatcher ....more years in the dark as she does not understand daylight saving

7. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Is the Landrover engine still based on their old 3500 aluminum V8? If yes, that's also an old GM design from the late 50's. GM sold it to LR in the mid 60's.

Jimbo

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

No,since ages that old crap was replaced. During the last ten or so years, at least the Diesel engines were BMW engines.

9. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well the 5 pot td5 and td6 for the range rover were Black Mans Wheels (BMW ) but I am sure this guy is going for a 4 pot 2500 cc non electronic Tdi which finished in 98....still waiting to hear back from wilco 123 but if its Land Rover I am your man.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.