Landing craft design question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by paradise-life, Nov 13, 2008.

1. paradise-life

paradise-life New Member

I’m new to this so forgive me. I am looking to purchase a small landing craft boat to do some work on islands in the Pacific, near Panama. What should I be looking for as far as seaworthiness in design. I know I will be using this in small swells. I do not plan on tackling large storms but average waves in the ocean. What do you think I should look for as far as design (the sides of many landing craft seem to be very shallow). I am looking to get a boat in the 40' length range. Thanks in advance.

2. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

I've used an aluminum 26-foot LC with 200hp diesel and Hamilton jet drive. The craft was just under 12 feet wide and the hull consisted of four watertight chambers. The last (stern) chamber contained the engine and cabin. She had four-foot sides, with the top two feet making up the sides around the deck, with large scuppers built into the sides (waves can come over the sides onto the deck, but run right out the scuppers). By making the engine compartment watertight, she can be certified for operating safely in six-foot waves. Access to the engine compartment is through the floor of the cabin. She will carry six tons of weight in less than two feet of water. That should give you an idea of what to scale up from.

You will want an extra long drop-down bow gate to ease loading/unloading. I've used winch and cables to lower/raise the gate, but hydraulics would be nicer. I also had a two-inch receiver hitch welded to the front and rear decks so that I could use a portable winch either fore or aft as needed. I also had twin 100-gallon side tanks mounted either side of the engine, along with pump-out hatches for refueling equipment in remote locations.
    HTH

3. specmar

specmar Junior Member

4. yosipanji

yosipanji New Member

after i read this Interesting article from RATSON Shipyard Indonesia in http://www.ratson.com, i got an idea to make 3d models of Landing Craft Tank (LCT) for business & military purpose..

Landing Craft Tank (LCT) for bussines purpose, boats and seagoing vehicles are used to carry container cargo on the deck and liquid cargo placed in tank under the deck from the sea to the shore. Most renowned Landing Craft Tank (LCT) for bussines purpose, vessels are developed to almost all shipyards in balikpapan - indonesia.

[​IMG] Landing Craft Tank (LCT) developed in Balikpapan-Indonesia

Landing Craft Tank (LCT) for military purpose, boats and seagoing vehicles are used to convey a landing force (infantry and vehicles) from the sea to the shore during an amphibious assault. Most renowned are those used to storm the beaches of Normandy, the Mediterranean, and many Pacific islands during WWII. This was the high point of the Landing Craft, with a significant number of different designs produced in large quantities by the United Kingdom, United States and now operate almost of all countrys.

Because of the need to run up onto a suitable beach, WWII Landing Craft were flat-bottomed, and many designs had a flat front, often with a lowerable ramp, rather than a normal bow. This made them difficult to control and very uncomfortable in rough seas. The control point (bridge was far too fancy a description for the facilities of the LCA and similar craft) was normally situated at the extreme rear of the vessel as were the engines. In all cases they tended to be known by an abbreviation derived from the official name rather than by the full title.

[​IMG] USA Military Landing Craft Tank (LCT)

does anyone have other references?

brgds,
    yp

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.