Newest, largest, oldest and smallest fishing boat, from Norwegian Broadcasting

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Raggi_Thor, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Some interesting pictures even if you don't understand the language :)

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/246653

The first 5 minutes is about one of the newest and largest fishing boats in Norway. It looks like a luxury cruise ship and the crew of 9 is wearing t-shirts. This boat catches 200 tons of mackerel worth 3 million NOK (half a million USD) on one trip. The mackerel is sold 5 minute after it's catched and 20 minutes after return to land the fish is on it's way to Japan.

The next boat ( after 5 minutes) is probably one of the smallest, owned and operated by a woman in Lofoten. She catches cod worth 22.000NOK (less than 4000USD) on one trip after two days of bad weather and hours of work on sea and later on land.

The third boat is probably the oldest operating fishing boat in Norway, catching brisling (a small herring) in a fjord. The fish is kept 5 days in the net to empty it's stomach before it's catched.

The other video (from the week before) has some very nice pictures of Oselvars and viking ships!

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Newst, largest, oldest etc

Hi Raggi. Interesting page. Worth the patient wait.
    Reminds me that there used to be a beautiful Norwegian Crabbing Boat moored in the Caledonian Canal Basin in Inverness, Scotland back in 1970.
    She's been 'tarted' up and was used as a live-aboard by a couple of grey-haired water gypsies. Her papers showed she'd been built in 1901 in Lavik which I believe is on the Sögnafjorden. Can't recall her builder unfortunately. Perhaps they no longer exist. But a beautiful example of timber work.

3. Raggi_Thor

Yes, Lavik is in Sognefjord, the world's longest fjord :)
    http://www.sognefjord.no/

Larvik is another place, on the southern coast, the home of Colin Archer, a famous Norwegian with parents from Scotland, I believe.

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Video not working for me I'm afraid, pity from what I did see it looked good!

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Newest, largest, oldest

Ah Raggi, where would you Norwegians be with we Scots....Grieg was another I believe...:)

6. safewalrus

Blown away bunch of Danes the lot of ye, just the Norwegians got there first is all! Not like us English (but I will admit there is a little bit of Danish in us too - got a lot to answer for them Danes!!) a proud race of pure barstewards, not a mixture, we're the genuine article!!

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Newest, largest, oldest

Let me see now. The English:Angles, from the Germanic race; present day English line interbred with Saxons, Danes, Celts, French, Spaniards...Hey Walrus, my dog has fewer breeds in its 'pedigree...'
    :p

8. Raggi_Thor

Norway, Sweden and Denmark is almost the same :)
    We where different tribes, not nations, until the viking era, approx 1000AD. Then we made a union of the three nations in Kalmar in Sweden in 13 something(?). After some wars Norway became a Danish colony until we made our own constitution an 1814, but then we had to share the king with Sweden and had no independent foreign affairs, until 1905 when we became an independent kingdom again. And guess what, who became king Haakon? We imported a danish prince for that :) In many ways Norwegians feel like Canada vs USA, Scotland vs England and maybe New Zealand vs Australia (if they have any relationship?). We used to feel like the little brother with stronger and more powerful neighbours. After we happened to find oil in the North Sea this has changed in practice, but maybe not mentally, even if all waiters in Oslo now are swedes.

9. safewalrus

Tribes ARE small nations Raggi, but I know what you mean! :D (luckily Bergalia we ain't got much Scots in us even if we did pinch one of your Kings, and we now have a few unsavioury politicians from your part of the world - Oh I forgot you were deported or was it exported years ago!:p

10. Raggi_Thor

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Newst, largest, oldest etc

Skiing on the Sabbath. Is there no end to Norwegian depravity.....:rolleyes:

12. Raggi_Thor

Sorry for that, we ski the whole easter also, even on long friday.

13. safewalrus

Just a thought Bergalia but my dog has less fleas on his coat than we have Scotsmen living off the English - he's tells me they don't hurt as much either!

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Newest, largest, oldest

'Fewer' fleas Walrus. Let's be grammatically correct. Fewer in number - less in volume. And we know in reality it's the English who rely on the Scots. Thin Red Line, porage, kippers, Jimmy Shand and all that...:p

15. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Safewalrus,

http://www.vdare.com/sailer/070415_diverse.htm

Also, see the comments here.
    http://isteve.blogspot.com/2007/04/blood-of-isles.html

Raggi,

It looks like the British are an older nation than the Scandinavians, because the last ice age took longer to release your land from its frozen grip, whereas we Proto Brits were able to straggle across the land bridge 12,000 years ago, when the Thames was a tributary of the Rhine. I enjoy History, Anthropology and Geography, which is why I reckon another Mount Toba type incident in the next 25 years is likely to catastrophically reverse global warming, by plunging the planet into a volcanically induced ice age that will finish of 95% of human life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Toba

http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/originals/Weber-Toba/textr.htm

Why am I not wailing and pulling out my hair? Because clever apes are only a blip in the scheme of things. The Earth is 4.6 billion years old and will last another 5 billion until the sun becomes a red giant and expands its diameter to 250 million miles swallowing up the three inner planets.

The fact that we evolved is no evidence to suggest we are that special. Yes, we have done a lot in 12,000 years but the ice will soon be back and freezing is not a nice end. When Europe freezes the people will hotfoot it to sunnier climes and Africa will see migrations that will dwarf any that we are seeing at present from Africa to Europe.

Do not for one instant think the Europeans will be asking politely for some living room from the Africans. It will be ethnic cleaning on an unprecedented scale. Africa's population is only 900 million compared with 450 million Europeans with a weapons inventory of overwhelming force and they will be used, as it'll be everyone for themselves in the last scramble to exist.

Perivale (Destroyer of Illusions)
    Pericles

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.