Moulds made for existing Sailboat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gelj34, Aug 28, 2008.

1. gelj34

gelj34 New Member

I'm looking for someone to build the moulds for an existing sailboat. The original moulds were destroyed. The boat is about 19 ft LOA, Beam 6 ft, draft 3 ft. This is a shoal, full keel sailboat with a V berth and 2 quarter berths. Of course there was a hull mould, deck mould, but also a cuddy cabin insert mould and possibly a mould for the liner for the ceiling of cabin. Can they be made from an existing boat? I read somewhere someone could scan the object and create the moulds. And roughly the cost.

Thanks,

2. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

If you can get a 3D model, I've seen plugs milled for $86 per sq ft. Molds go for more.

Good luck!

-jim lee

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

scanning the inside of a cabin liner?,, it would work if EVERY part is visible.if not,, it'll have to either be made from scratch,, or your old one needs to come off and make mold from that.
    is this your boat design? or from another company?

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I have had some experience with 3D scanning of a small flats boat, and the result was terrible. There was nothing uniform or fair about the data, and you could not edit it easily.

You would be better off making a mold off the actual boat, and then only if you have rights to do so from the original designer or whomever owns the design.

Eric