back to school time

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Sep 27, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Went for my ususal walk around when i first get to work each morning always carry my camera all the time ! anyway gel coat problems ! found a couple of panels gel coated yesterday afternoon and a small supply of problems some people may never have seen .
    The only thing these guys are really good at is getting all the problems on one place
    Drips from the front of the gun !
    Hight pressure air blowing along the surface and causing ripples !
    Porosity in the thick gel and bubble burst
    excess thickness and running off the vertical surface down onto the bottom more porosity and bubbles .
    Not sraying a small lip and it has bare spots and seelthroughs between the runs and drips . and so on and so on
    Non slip is difficult to spray but if the gn is held directly over the top ot will fill the pattern
    If you look closely at the first picture save to your computer then zoom in you will see some of the nonslip pattern actually has bubbles at surface level in the hollows so when the artical comes out there will be like a half a eggshell (sides and bottom with top missing ) Silly as it seems its impossible to replicate most of these problems so have to take pictures as you find them . its why i have posted as a referance !

Attached Files:

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

some more

Heres some more off the same job this is all thick gel coat !! like really thick .
    1ST picture is bubbles that are there but still under the surface !!
    3rd picture is where the gelcoat had thickend but the bubbles had time to actually burst open !!! see how deep the craters are !!! the last picture the buubles had come to the surface but still had a microscopicly thin bubble still intact that what they are a slightly differant shape with raised dides nt inverted like the other picture ! cans also see other bubbles that didnt quite make there journey but are just on the surface . like i said its hard to get pictures like this
    If you save the pictures into you computer program then you can zoom in really close and get better detail

Attached Files:

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Not silicone contamination?

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

no there is no contamination we use the same products all the time . this is simply dont know what they doing . put the gun in the hands of some one else and differant results . ! :confused:

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you get silicone contamination on the surface of a paint job you get like that. It can come from your clothes if you waxed your car over weekend.

You could get a small eye dropper with some addative you put in the paint that --helped-- the situation.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Two ways to over come a good percentage of what there is pigment the resin for the first skin of glass or second gel coat and add i little resin as well makes it flow and get into those holes and go to the bottom and fill all those lovelies !!.
    oh there is possibly a reasonably big area i suspect has thin gel coat as well :eek:. If they evened it out the quantity it has would be the right amount !!, its just where its been put thats the problem !!! puddles here and thin spots there . You can stand over then and tell them what is wrong the moment you turn you back they just go back to doing what they just been told not to do. :rolleyes:
    Simple !!! workmanship and know how and pride ! there is non of any !!!!

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Perhaps you should hold them warmly by the throat and explain in more detail.

You could also politely drag him outside to look at the queue of people waiting for a job .

I find calm western diplomacy a wonderful tool.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

In just one week i could teach the office girl how to spray and how to set up and use the spray gun properly .
    To put asian men in there place teach a women to do there job and do it well !!! then if you really want to twist the knife make a women a leading hand or forman in charge and give her the power to fire any one that does not toe the line .wow wee !

I have a lady friend thats a company CEO and has a staff of 320 workers under command . she is one of the two founding members of the company and is a highly qualified electrical engineer to top it off !!. She is one very attractive lady ,suffisticated ,charming and any western males dream women , speaks 4 languages .
    When a customer has a problem with any of the precision parts they manufacture she can get down to the nitty gritty and talk technical terms and put the customer to shame with her vast knowledge and no bull expertise . I really enjoy spending time with her as she is down to earth and dosent beat about the bush !!, the only thing she cant do is cook !! in a buisness meeting asian men have a reall problem and find her very intimidating when they know what she can do !!:D

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The guy in charge i could gladly fire right in front of the factory manager and the rest of the staff !! hes been put on the spot a few times since i been there because we had a spat of staff leaving and he was the cause . its a attatude problem he has information and never passes it on ,so jobs never get done properly . paper work like scheduals , plans and construction infomation never leaves the office and ends up in the bin before going out the door . Its a power thing like "im the boss and i know everything so you are going to have to guess at what i know"" !!
    Cant work with people like that and things dont get built properly !

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Dont do as I do - do what I say

The problem employee says "im the boss and i know everything so you are going to have to guess at what i know""

Tunnels says - "Personally I like to work alone ,that way i dont get so white shirt wearing idiot watching over you shoulder trying to learn what im doing so they can rush off and pretend to be clever"

It sounds like he was applying your principles, Tunnels. never letting anyone else know what he was doing !! :)

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Working with idiots you begin to think like they do if you are not careful . I am used to working with professionals that know what its all about ! people that like what they do and take pride in there work . slap and dash attaude is not for me and at this stage of life never will be and i dont accept . !!
    One thing i learned long time agao when working you never reveal everything you know to any one !!. always hold a little in reserve ! its leaves them wondering what surpries you will come up with next !:eek:

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont care about releasing information . In my field I am quite confident no one knows what I do--thats why I am the boss.

Within hours of my first day as Transport manager for Sealand shipping USA I was walking around getting to know names etc and working out how this huge container yard ticked. Trucks leaving by the minute passed the security. I had s strange Indian guy walking a round doing the same thing I understood he was working there I asked him who he was and what he was doing. He told me to fuk off (literally) I said I dont know who out are but get paid and get off my yard .

Apparantly he was some big shot that though he should have got my job. By lunch he was paid and off the yard. I call that flexing my muscles and cleaning up.

I told the Director its him or me Im not having that in the workshop. As they had just flown me in and was paying for a 2 bed appartment in the Hyatt I felt I had the edge anyway.

Yes it raised a few eyebrows, A good way to start the day. Next was dealing with a fat cigar puffing American guy that called me a god damned turkey and wanted to play truck drivers, but thats another story.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Nailing a scalp to the wall is a good way to start the day. everyone is espendable and replaceable , even if the have to hire two others to do your job !!
    I like having a foot in both camps and seeing what goes on . !!:D

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

2 guys to do my job? 10 guys could'nt do it

10 x 0 is still zero.

Knowledge and experience gets paid.

Yup-- I done git me a big brain.

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Some more fabulous gel coating by our magnificent grew !
    runs !
    spray over the top of other spray !where one lot has thickened and then another spray went over the top and yet moooore gel coat !!
    and blobs and runs !
    and puddles !
    and even some Fish eyes even thought that not what they look like . !!
    plus dirt and sanded foam dust etc etc .but no bubbles that i could find !! I suspect that because there were no bubbles and the fact the gelcoat is smooth with fisheyes they have thinned the gelcoat !! the old story change one thing and other things change with it . ! if they uesed styrene to thin with and if the gel is slow going off because its been thinned i could be dull !!
    it could be soft !!!
    and it might even stick !!
    but why worry !!
    Every day my life is filled with adventure !!:):D:p;):p

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.