CBTF (Wild Oats) wins Sydney-Hobart Again!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Movable ballast and CBTF technology crossed another milestone with Wild Oats victory in the Sydney-Hobart. CBTF uses twin fore and aft foils to generate the lateral resistance for the boat
    allowing the canting strut to be a shorter,fatter section than would otherwise be possible. The canting strut provides no lateral resistance and neither does the bulb.
    Wild Oats is one of the largest CBTF boats ever built for line honors racing and has proven herself time and time again- beating Maximus at least once prior to this race. Maximus and one of the VO 70's lost rigs in the SH.. Skandia(like Maximus) ,uses an
    original version of CBTF but lost her cannard during this race-too bad.
    CBTF technology is probably the fastest canting keel technology currently being used(from a race winning standpoint) and the Reichel-Pugh design has proven rugged as well.
    The future of movable ballast on the fastest monohull ocean racer's seems assured....
    -------------------
    Under the heading "Dominator" SA says:" Wild Oats crushed the fleet on elaped time going to Hobart. An impresssive win by an impressive boat and perhaps an equally impressive program."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Being basically the biggest boat there didn't hurt, either.....
    The handicap winner at present is likely to be "Wot Yot", a few-year-old TP52 that recently had a new bottom. That, obvioulsy, is subject to change if the wind drops...
    Steve

3. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Sean Langman has my respect.

And btw, since we are into repeating ourselves (if you have broadband & haven't seen it)
    http://www.gunboat.info/
    Hit video....& wait.
    P.A. CBTF...hohum.
    IMO, a hughly expensive,ethically questionable,aid to faster sailing.

I am aware that the R.P. doesn't have a cant, not that it would have made much difference.

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Motorboat beats sailboats ..

Why is it newsworthy when powered boats beat sail boats? ... they've been doing it since the invention of the steam engine.

There is a precedent for lumping sportboats and multi-hulls into the same division. Their performance characteristics of multi-hulls and sportboats are more similar than sportboats and traditional displacement yachts.

The SSS places any boat with a D/L of 83 or under in with the multi's.

Once we see the canters and the multi's face off in their own class, we'll see how fast they aren't ... even with their engines running.

SEAN LANGMAN, SYDNEY-HOBART COMPETITOR: Everything ran off power. We had a computer technician and a full time engineer just to keep the boat running. We finally ran out of fuel a mile to the finish and I went, "Wow, now we've got to sail the boat to get it to the finish", and my feeling when I stepped off was, this isn't what the race or sailing is about to me.......

Bah Humbug!

5. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Secondary Failure Mode

Which, if any, of these mast failures were attributable to the canting keels?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.