Laminate joint questions

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by shizlenut, Mar 13, 2011.

1. shizlenut

shizlenut Junior Member

I am building a cab on my Boston Whaler out of airex c70 1/2 inch foam and using a laminate schedule of knit mat backed +/- 45 degree 17oz fabric and a 1.5oz cover of mat. I am wondering if I will be able to butt join the laminate on the outside of the cab to minimize sanding, and overlap the joints on the interior for added strength. Is it necessary to overlap all joints or with the right planning, butt some joints for looks on the outside and overlap where the aesthetics aren't so important on the inside.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It depends on how many layers of fabric will be used.

1 layer...butt joint....zero strength....many layers....it gets better.

You can use an over lap by slightly removing foam from the overlap area, recessing the foam will leave room for the glass with no high spot.

3. shizlenut

shizlenut Junior Member

Hey thanks for the insite, I actually came across the recessing idea on some other posts. What is the best way to recess the foam, sanding, planning, or some other way to cut it out?