Laminate design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Falcon, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Falcon

Falcon Junior Member

Is the following laminate sequences (for 14m coastguard boat) 100% correct or there is a better laminate schedule ?

Bottom
    -Gray gelcoat.
    -CSM 300 (one layer).
    -BXA glass 600/100 (2 layers).
    -U.D glass 600/100 (one layer)
    -Foam 25mm (core-cell)
    -U.D glass 600/100 (2 layer).

hull side:
    -CSM 300(one layer)
    -BXA glass 600/100 (2 layers)
    -U.D glass 600/100 (one layer

Another question:
    I know that AutoCad is the most common design software used for marine industry, but is it the best or there are other software which are better than AutoCad? Example Pro-E or Solidworks.
    Is Pro-E suitable for marine design.

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Your laminate depends all on the size, shape, and waters intended for the boat. Much engineering goes into the calculations. I venture to say that no designer will officially say "Yea that looks good" without knowing MUCH more detail. Probably more detail than could be conveyed in a forum. I just obtained a free lamination "annalyzer" from Vectorply. It might be a good starting point for your research.

For software, there's lots of different types. I use a combination of AutoCAD, Rhino3D, and some pretty hefty spreadsheets and that's just for canoes and kayaks.

Hope that points you in the right direction!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.