laminate design

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Falcon, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Falcon

Falcon Junior Member

Is the following laminate sequences (for 14m coastguard boat) 100% correct or there is a better laminate schedule ?

Bottom
    -Gray gelcoat.
    -CSM 300 (one layer).
    -BXA glass 600/100 (2 layers).
    -U.D glass 600/100 (one layer)
    -Foam 25mm (core-cell)
    -U.D glass 600/100 (2 layer).

hull side:
    -CSM 300(one layer)
    -BXA glass 600/100 (2 layers)
    -U.D glass 600/100 (one layer

Another question:
    I know that AutoCad is the most common design software used for marine industry, but is it the best or there are other software which are better than AutoCad? Example Pro-E or Solidworks.
    Is Pro-E suitable for marine design.

2. spank

spank Junior Member

Falcon,
    The question of whether or not the laminate is "correct" is really not correct I think. I think the question you should be asking is how can I achieve the same strength and stiffness with a different laminate, with the desired effect of making the boat light or heavier or whatever. Also, in order to analyze the laminate, it would be helpful to know what the structural arrangement is for the vessel. As far as design goes, most designers use a suite of programs to design boats, as different programs excel a doing different things. Most start with a dedicated hull design package such as Multisurf, maxsurf, Fastship and the like. These programs are really well suited to design hulls because they include hydrostatics and stability calculations, as well as other features unique to yacht design. My personal preference is Multisurf, but any of the above are great for the task of designing a hull, and if you like other features of the boat. Next designers will either move into 2d (Autocad) or continue to design in 3d (solidworks, Proe, Catria, Vx etc.). I like to continue in 3d using VX, designing the deck structures, interior, structure etc. From the 3d file, 2d drawings can be quickly extracted and manipulated wither in the host program, or in Autocad.