Lament after buying study plan

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Welly,

Damn ethics, I'm gonna say my piece.....

Bruce Roberts is a marketing man second to none. That is the reason he keeps selling the same old designs for decades to people. Most of his designs are dated and screams of the 70's.
    His new designs are not so hot as well...An interesting bit of trivia, one of his most successful designs sold, the "Tom Thumb 24", was not designed by Roberts but by Grahame Shannon from whom he obtained the rights for the design. Makes one wonder....?

Nowadays he makes a big deal about his raduis chined method for steel designs , but to be honest, it looks like it's homemade - probably for the market his aiming at. If you compare BR raduis chine with someone who I believes perfected it, Dudley Dix, it is like comparing cheese and chalk.

My advise Welly, take your hard earned cash and buy some proper plans from a designer who cares and want to see his creation floating the seven seas. And if I may be so bold to recommend one, I would vouch for Dudley Dix. And his designs are builder friendly. After building a few a should know.
    Best of luck

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Dudley Dix

Funny, just advised Dudley 3 hours ago in the "A junk in the making thread?".

Go for it Welly!

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

So you bought a study plan. That is only to show the basic lines of a boat to see if you want to buy the plans. The copy of your invoice shows the purchase of some books. It is the same as buying from any other book seller, they have no responsibility to instruct you on boat building. Also, boat plans, unless specified, don't include consulting fees. Study plans definetly not. Not accepting credit cards has nothing to do with credibility. A purchase on the internet, specially from overseas, with a credit card can be eqasily cancelled. Also, because it is considered a " over the phone transaction" there is basically no legal recourse for the seller.

4. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

"Not accepting credit cards has nothing to do with credibility."

When you're doing business over the Internet, not being able to accept credit cards has everything to do with credibility.

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Yes, Thanks for the support......... I will look for other design, Bruce Roberts is crazy to risk reputation on US$ 500+......... I would risk it for anything..........:). But I am still hoping he will post on the thread........... to answer the inquiry.

6. SheetWise

Welly -

Bruce Roberts did respond to my question.

Welly, I thought "odd" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps, "spirited". ;)
    We all still love you.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sheetwise : accepting credit cards is a choice of the merchant.

8. Wellydeckhand

Gartside designer is a good man, his drawing can be consider sweet and detail....... no bad track record but wont take credit card..........:)

9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

welly,go look at Spencerboat,com. contact grant spencer, they make good passage making sailboats and work boats ,,,,longliner

10. SheetWise

Gonzo -

Thats why I highlighted -

"... not being able to accept credit cards has everything to do with credibility."

If a person doesn't want to accept credit cards, that's their business. If they have an Internet presence, are trying to sell, and don't accept credit cards -- you have good reason to question their business acumen. Any person with a half decent banking relationship can get a merchant account.

Face it -- when you select an OEM or supplier of proprietary material, you're taking on a partner. It's always fair to inquire about the financial health of a partner -- since your financial health is now based upon them being there when you need them. You want them to survive. It's one of the main reasons small businesses fail -- they don't have the critical mass to survive.

PayPal was designed as a service for eBay sellers who were involved in casual sales -- not professional businessmen. The requirements to get a PayPal account are extremely relaxed, and the fees paid are substantially higher.

When you find a merchant who wants to accept credit cards, but instread of a merchant account uses PayPal, you can assume that at least one of the following are true --

-- They can't qualify for a merchant account.
    -- Their sales are so low that the premium they give PayPal is less than the banks service fee.

When I'm selecting a supplier -- either one of those is the kiss of death.

11. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

Welly,

Was Bruces photoghraph on the web site that you bought the study plans from - or not?

Please respond.

Paul.

1 person likes this.
  12. SeaQuiCk

SeaQuiCk New Member

Wellydeckhand,
    for what it's worth - there are more places you can get hands on 'Bruce Roberts' plans, cutting files and kits if you like the design...
    If you like to, check out
    www.girraween.co.uk and www.almarine.org
    as far as I (don't) understand it, there's a lot of hatred between the different parties, each one accusing the other of 'stealing' the designs.
    I have no experience with Bruce Roberts, but I do know both of the above companies and as far as I know, they have (overall) satisfied customers.
    Greetings,
    Jerry

PS. maybe it would make a great thread to get the involved parties to solve their dispute online about who stole what from who and make it clear for all...

13. Wellydeckhand

Answer:

Yes, big picture of Bruce Roberts in Website: www.bruceroberts.com / Bruce Roberts-Goodson

The rival is without the picture and Bruce Roberts-International. or BRI

WDH

14. Wellydeckhand

Done that

Thanks for the links but nothing capture my eyes, the Trader 65 was not there. I would rather not mark my future boat as a copy and mark black her history.

The two website are just SPRAY and WAVERUNNER option..... nice.

Their own problem should not involve their customer. That is how I run my small business here. I dont know how those guy with a N.A. cert do their business, there are more professional designer N.A. in the world.

They can use this thread to resolve their matter in front of the world, only if they want to without feeling forced into by us........... their reputation is their own bread.

WDH

15. Hum...Bruce,...Bruce...again!! When You will be a good boy?!?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.