Lake Michigan Shanty Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by johnnymitch74, Dec 13, 2009.

1. johnnymitch74

johnnymitch74 New Member

Hey Everybody. First post here!

I designed this boat in SketchUp with a friend and we plan to build it this winter and then sail it from Milwaukee WI to northern Wisconsin, along the coastline of Lake Michigan. What do you guys think? It's not supposed to be fancy, just an opportunity for two kids to have an adventure. What legal things would we have to go through to get it on the water? (We're located in Wisconsin if that helps.) It would never be far offshore.

ANY tips are helpful, on propulsion, materials, anything.

Thanks a ton! This is a great website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rIjVnjtc8o&feature=response_watch

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Have the USCG give it a safety inspection after you have put all the legally required equipment on board. Also make sure you follow USCG rules of construction, especially as it involves fuel tanks, lines, fittings, etc. A little research and a safe boating class will save you a lot of headaches later and you will quite possibly actually enjoy the class.

3. Red Tide

Red Tide Junior Member

Are you sure you're going to feel comfortable or safe on that pontoon raft style boat if you get caught in 3' waves? It looks like it would be quite a bounce-slammy ride and top heavy if you can't make it into port while it's still flat calm.

4. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

I wouldn't waste my money or time on the sail rig, unless you want one for looks. This shanty boat looks like it may be quite enjoyable anchored in a quiet cove, but risky to take out on the lake. Why not forget about any on-board propulsion for the shanty boat, and buy a large used aluminum jon boat with a medium sized outboard, and use it to tow or push the shanty boat to its destination? Then you'd have the jon boat to explore and go for supplies.

5. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjJ64vWTIY&NR=1

Are you sure you want to design a boat like what you're thinking on a lake that can apparently get like that?

How are your sails going to function? Your vessel looks like it will be a huge sail itself, and you're going to have one hell of a time controlling it in anything resembling a wind. It will float like a box, and be pushed around at the whim of the wind.

Add a sail on top, with what looks like nothing really in the water designed to grip it, and you just make the problem worse and even more top heavy. Such a design as what you have there looks like it will simply flip in the first broad side gust of wind.

Personally I would suggest sitting down and looking at small simple designs, and build an actual boat to play in. It will take you about the same amount of work as your current design, but be far more fun and useful.

6. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Kentucky river boat u-tube from Narwhale....

"I told'e it was all hand made", "He said it looks like you made it with your feet." Lol

8. johnnymitch74

johnnymitch74 New Member

okay so i guess it wasn't the greatest design haha...

could anyone give me some tips on what type of design we would need for a trip like this?

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I watched the video
    and I been out on Lake Michigan
    first thing that pops into my mind is
    in the event of disaster
    can I have some of your stuff :p

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

The only tip I can give you is forget about the whole stuff.
    I am sorry, but it is a no no.
    Find a proper design.
    Good luck
    Daniel

13. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Tiny, have you seen lake Michigan? Have any of the rest of you that are suggesting a shanty is a possibility? I've raced on that lake, lived next to it and I can tell you, it's not a place for a cobbled together floating shack. It better damn well be a real boat or you'll your family will be collecting on insurance money eventually.

Even my riverboats, which are much more substantial then a typical shanty or houseboat, aren't up for lake Michigan, when it feels like giving sailors a hard time.

Yes, it would be nice if you could "stay near shore", but frankly you're always near shore on Lake Michigan and the lake is absolutely infamous for what it does to boats, ships and ill prepared skippers, it even has it's own self generated weather patterns, which I think is the point here.

As teenagers, you have no idea how bad it can get, more importantly, how quickly a nice day can turn into a situation you might not survive. This sort of thing happens fairly regularly on the lake, it's taken literally thousands of lives to prove this and it's time someone stopped beating around the bush and told you.

Do your selves a really big favor and take a FREE boat handling and safety course at the local Power Squadron. At least you'll learn some of the rules and requirements. Maybe you can make a friend or two and get a ride out on the lake. Or better yet hear some of the horror stories of people that just barely made it back to shore alive, on what started out as a perfectly nice day on Lake Michigan.

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Lake Michigan weather has sunk many ocean going ships. The coast is rocky with few harbors and far in between in the Wisconsin side. Have you guys ever sailed the lake?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.