Lake Geneva Challenge

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

The ever increasing use of lifting foils on multihulls is about to take another leap forward if this story from Scuttlebutt is to be believed.
    "Alexandre Schneiter and his Seb Schmidt design Tilt have broken the thirteen years old Ruban Violet, a speed record for monohulls around Lake Geneva.
    Schneiter now envisages challenging the multihulls record held since 1994 by Peter Lessenbergers trimaran Triga IV.
    He will build a multihull that will sail on hydrofoils and guarantee a fantastic show on Lake Geneva next year."

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

A Jet is Faster Still

And I say that the moment his boat raises from the water, he will place himself in a completely separate class of boat from conventional multihulls. Therefore, the record, while it may be faster, will not be a multihull record. A foiling something record, certainly... but not a multihull class record.

I bet I could beat him with a partially jet powered multihull with vestigial hard sails (vertical and horizontal) to keep it in the sailboat category. There should be little complaint just because I have brought an engine on board, now should there, canting keel Doug?

Now, there's a real revolution of a head-turning addition to the world of techno driven sailboats.

"It's only a matter of time"

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Foiler C Class

Well, it appears that a foiler or two will be racing a non-foiler or two in the C class-is that not a multihull class? I think their expertise in deciding "what is multihull" is pretty highly rated,don't you?

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Yes, Doug, it is a multihull class, but it is very specifically designated as a development multihull class. That's why it's a C class cat and not a B or an A. Have you seen hard wing sails on any of the other cat classes? Do keep in mind that the foilers did have to reduce their beam in order to make it inside the requirement for beam max. within the C class rules.

You did not mention the Lake G boats in anything like a development class. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any rules at all other than it needs to be a multihull, so a jet engine equipped multihull, as long as it has propulsive power from some sail-like shape looks to be pretty good as a solution within your rule system of "anything techy goes". The Lord Rule, we'll call it, in honor of your open willingness to toss anything into the pot.

OK to cant keels back and forth with an engine, then it's also OK to push the boat with engine assist. OK to augment the performance of the sailing boat with an engine. OK... Good enough. You do see where this is going, eh? I'm sure you will find this problematic, but that's only because you didn't think of it first and were already halfway into your hype mode about the possibility.

My counter to you is that since you have already opened the door to development practice, engines and foils in plenty of other boats, I'm going to make the vapor entry with a jet powered boat with horizontal foil forms and vestigial vertical fins. You can try all you want to keep up.

As for beating Cogito... well, that's a pretty steep hill to climb. I wish them all luck.

5. TTS

TTS Senior Member

Chris,

While Cogito will be challenged by a foiling C, Fred is probably going to put his two other traditional C's on the water to make up a four boat regatta. It will be interesting to see what does happen on the water. Their time on the foiler is relatively short at this moment, so anything can happen. There are 2-4 A's out there experimenting with rigid sails right now. The issue seems to be cost, not performance as to their general acceptance in the class. The A class did outlaw foils, but a few sailors are experimenting with them right now in the A Class. I think that Lars Guck has shown some interest in this as well. As to development classes, the A-Class is just that, with quite a lot going on in that class right now. Here is a good thread to follow http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18037&goto=newpost. I would like to see your "I'm going to make the vapor entry with a jet powered boat with horizontal foil forms and vestigial vertical fins. You can try all you want to keep up" in action. The B class itself has not really been around as a development class since the 1967 trials for an Olympic class which chose the Tornado as the Olympic Catamaran. There are other B's out there such as the Dart and Shark, but for all purposes the B class is now one design. The Tornado still is a development class to a certian point. That point relies upon fitting in with the templates, weights, sail area, mast specs and so-on. Marstrom is the leading builder in the class because his boats win races consistently, but if someone came up with a hull shape within the parameters of the measurement that was better, it would become the new standard. Paul Stanley of Yankee Laminates tried this in the early 1990's but could not get the support from the class to continue on after the first 5-6 boats. So the Tornado is a development one design boat. Sorry to digress from the thread.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.