Lake and River Design for 48' liveaboard

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by paul_tenn, Jul 17, 2008.

1. paul_tenn

paul_tenn paul_tenn

We are looking for ideas on a shallow draft 48'x3'x16' beam trawler type design with hybrid or electric and D-gen unit. Must be full two levels with FB. What is out there?

2. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Hi,
    Jay Benford (Benford Design Group) has some designs that may suit in one of his catalogs
    David

Looked out my old Benford Small Ships catalog, the Friday Harbour Ferry or one of the Florida Bay Coaster designs would seem to suit your requirements. 45 to 50 feet long, 16 foot beam, 3 foot draft. He shows twin 50 to 60 HP diesels, but that sort of power is what you will need for this size of boat, you will probably need a bow thruster as well but most of those are electric anyway. The conversion to electrc drive would need to be done by you or you may want to contact the Benford Design Group and they may be prepared to do the design conversion for you

3. paul_tenn

paul_tenn paul_tenn

Response to design

Thanks for the info. I contacted Benford in the past several times by phone and they seemed to have little interest in discussing ideas only selling plans.

4. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

You could look at a wide beam canal boat design such as these out of the UK. The guy that makes those informs me that with plans in hand you could go to just about any steel fabricators and have the shell built.

The only real difference you may want to make to their regular spec is a larger engine to tackle river flow.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Before buying our big ketch I ran through dozens of concepts for simple large liveaboard vessels, thinking I would build new. A totally flat bottomed skiff shape is certainly simple to build, upside down if done in ply and glass or right side up if done in steel.

The two views below are of a 52' by 16' power barge with just enough shape in the ends to keep it interesting.
    hbinteriorlevels.jpg
    hbprofile1.jpg

Another idea was a powerskiff based on the styling of an old coaster. The model is of a version 40' by 16' beam. The sketch below is of a 45' version.

powerskiff5.jpg
    powerskiff45.jpg

6. paul_tenn

paul_tenn paul_tenn

Design

Thanks for the info from all. The coaster idea is OK but too heavy and we would prefer a wood design that can be driven by electric motor.

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

have a design which may suit you, pm me or email

8. paul_tenn

paul_tenn paul_tenn

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Belle (RYD-47), 50' LOD, 16' beam, 47' LWL.

[​IMG]

Contact me by email if intrested (click on my name).

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Blow the need for the "trawler" look, and get on a houseboat site, to see whats done today.

Its always better to use a TOOL as it was designed (screwdrivers make lousy hammers) so with no need for offshore scantlings , thousands of gallons of fuel, fuel filtering , roll stabeliziation ect , why pay tripple or more for a "look".

Remember many of the old Trumpy's were "house boats" so a proper inshore yacht CAN be Eye Candy.

As the above vessel is.I wouldn't think of crossing the Pond ot heading to Terra Del Fuego in it ,
    but for the Loop, or Bahamas or Between the Lakes , it looks ideal.

FF

11. octoberk

octoberk New Member

Look at my designer ccplans on the net or compucraft. I build boats and his are very light and very quick and strong.....go anywhere

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.