L.O.A. vs Centerline Length

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rdeputy, Oct 31, 2005.

1. rdeputy

rdeputy Junior Member

I'm gathering information on various products within the industry and noticing that some manufacturers quote LOA while others reference centerline length. What's the difference between the two? Does one only reference the boat while the other would include any extensions such as motor brackets and/or anchor rollers?

RD

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

LOA - Length over all, including bowsprits, etc. Does not usually include motors, brackets or outboard rudders.

LOD - Length on deck. The best measure of hull length.

LWL - Length of the waterline. Best measure of size of the boat along with beam.

Centerline length - never heard of it except in relation to distance around the sheer.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is a new marketing gimmick.

4. Cliff Pope

Cliff Pope Junior Member

Traditionally LOA does NOT include the bowsprit. This is a modern advertising gimic to make boats sound bigger than they are.
    My boat (1880 gaff cutter) is a true 21 foot LOA. If I added in the projecting bowsprit (8 feet) and the overhanging boom (2 feet) that would give a bogus "LOA" of over 30 feet!

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

No, I am sorry but according to me things are as follows:

LOA = Length Over ALL = measures the total boat's length

LOD = Length Over Deck = the total boatlength without extensions

LBP = Length Between Perpendiculars (often, not always) LWL

LWL = Length OF WATERLINE

Length over the Centerline is equal to LOD

:cool:

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Your definations are no longer valid. Modern PR people have the latest definations.

7. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Cyclops - has it ever occurred to you that the PR folks may have it wrong. The traditional definitions are still the right ones, and the PR guys are full of s#it.
    Nobody seriously reads the PR crud any more. When you talk to your buddies in the bar, do you refer to your boat using the traditional (correct) terms, or do you use the terms the PR guys coined?
    Steve :)

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

We only talk about vintage speedboats and vintage racing hydros up to aircraft piston engine unlimiteds. And the safest class of all vintage boats. Jersey speed skiffs. :) :)

9. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

According to me, PR people may invent anything they want to - we are here on a serious (hope so) level were we are saved from the stupidities those people invent in order to sow their no-knowledge.

Do you meet more of those freakish descriptions?

I knew the term larboard when it was almost too late.

Just engaged I sailed the Zuiderzee (IJsselmeer) when a large motoryacht manoevred in my way.
    The guy on deck screamed "Larboard, larboard"!!

Never in my life I heard this, so I screamed back: what for the #### is "larboard" - The large yacht at that moment hit the ground. After almost 40 years I remember her name "Ninja" from Lowestoft.
    Later on, I discovered that larboard is equal to "port" be it an 18th century term.

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Public relations ( PR ) is a fully controlled division of the Marketing division. Which, is in the direct control of sales. Which, the COO, :), controls. Do YOU ever believe a COO?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.