Kurt Hughes Daycharter 36

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Charly, Mar 10, 2010.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Having done a cylinder mold also, I'd agree with Charly here. You can't really do a cylinder mold with a single piece of plywood. If it's thick enough to form a strong hull, it's too thick to bend.

I think single sheets of ply are more for those who build the bulkheads upside down and do hard chines over them in plywood.

BTW: Nice pictures, Charly!

Question: Does your boat have a little "nub" at the keel in the plans, or is it perfectly round? Some of us guys doing KH boats in foam/glass have the little nub in our plans, as well as a tiny flattish bit of deadrise. This supposedly helps somehow with slamming when you are really hauling *ss on these boats.

2. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Thanks Cat. Yes. I didn't realize it till you pointed it out, so I looked at my left over study set for the composite version and the keel section is flatter mid ships. The amount of "nub" one winds up with though, in the plywood version, depends on how much planing is done. I did a fair amount, down to the keel bog in a few places, so my keel sections from mid ships aft are pretty round.

3. CatBuilder

I was just curious. I don't think it makes that much of a difference, but I was just wondering if your boat (the daycharter model) had a different keel shape than the cruising models.

Didn't mean to criticize... was just curious. :)

Looks like she's coming along nicely though. Much more fair out of the box than the foam/glass method. I have a lot of fairing to do compared to your boat.

4. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Well, I am not done yet by a long shot. I still have a lot of work to do at the bows and around the centerboard openings. Not to mention painting.

I have not posted the less flattering photos ;-)

5. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Santa Comes Early

I finally scored some of the good stuff from McCormick and Sons in Wisconsin.
    http://mccormicklumber.com/
    Cordial folks, prompt delivery.

4/4 x 6 x 20ft sitka. This will go inside the cross beams.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      881.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      963.6 KB
      Views:
  6. CatBuilder

Good move! That is the right stuff for those beams. Top quality boat.

7. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Aft beam comng together

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      920.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      928.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1,000.6 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  8. Charly

Charly Senior Member

These were supposed to upload first- scarfing the 3/8 ply

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      910.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Aft Beam

Plywood is all glued up now, with deck ledger attached, and bolt holes drilled oversize and filled. Next is to reinforce the ends and corners with biax and cover the whole beam's exterior with 10 oz cloth.

I would love to hear from others that have built this plan or similiar

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      671.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      658.9 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  10. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Forward Crossbeam

Here is the foward crossbeam going together.

Shown is the center bulkhead, directly under the mast, with doublers and truss supports bogged in place

The pattern cutouts are for the form stations for the fairing that goes on front of the beam. Finally used up the last of the osb scrap from the hull mold. I plan to build the form and bag on 3 layers of 3mm, ply the same way we did the hulls, except this time bagging them to the table. So far so good.:D

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      646.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      723.5 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      631.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      769 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      810.7 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  11. CatBuilder

Wow, Charly. You are putting some hours in! I'm doing beams too, but out of foam.

Interesting to see you are going right ahead and putting your fairing on the main strength beam right away like that. I should probably find a way to do that as well. Looks like it's easier than trying to stick it on later.

Nice job! Looks just like the plans!

12. Charly

Charly Senior Member

I think it will be easier to do it on the table than outside. I hope to have the whole beam with fairing glassed and ready to install before cutting open the hulls. Mine won't be too heavy, I hope, for a few guys to manage.

I think I have a plan figured out. I will set up a form on the table. The plumbed stations will set atop a 3/4 board, that is nailed on the flat, following some scribed lines on the table top that outlines the shape of the beam face. This will give me something to screw the plywood sandwich to, that will hold it all into place.
    There will be a top piece and a bottom piece, with about a six inch gap running horizontal the whole length of the fairing, so I can get my hand in and cove in the bulkheads when the time comes. In my case, this will also make bending the stiff 3mm okume possible since the curves there are not as sharp as across the middle.
    So, have the polyethelyne sheet stapled and glued to the table at the top, then bend the wetted out sandwiches over the form stations, and pull the bag over the whole thing and glue it down to the table at the bottom and at the ends, and vacuum bag it.
    Once cured, I can take the pieces off the form, dismantle it, and install them over the real bulkheads that will be bogged onto the beam face already. There will probably be some springback, but they should cooperate, since they already "know" the shape. I guess I will squash them over the bulkheads with some nylon lines or something, and bog them into place reaching through the gap to cove them in.
    After adding doublers, or any needed reinforcements, then I should be able to fabricate a piece for the gap, either out of more okume ply or cedar strips. Then fair and glass. That's the plan anyway. Maybe if I can stay ahead of you, there will be something useful for you to learn from my experience. But if you are infusing, your situation may be completely different.

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Charly, I bet you are beaming with pride! :)

14. Charly

Charly Senior Member

I am, Hoyt, I have to admit.

A few years ago my odds were very much against such an ambitious project. Then, Kurt Hughes wrote a piece called "Apocalyptic Boatbuilding". It seemed taylor-made for my circumstances, and frankly was the final push that I needed to quit dreaming and get started. The times are still bleak, financially, for myself and a lot of other folks, but if you just take one bridge at a time, and stay on the path, it is possible to accomplish your dreams, one way or another.

My challenge is to not let it become such an obsession that the whole game revolves around its success or failure. IOW, "This too, is Vanity, and a chasing after wind" ;) (pun intended)

1 person likes this.

15. Charly

Charly Senior Member

fwd beam fairing

The latest photos of the beam fairing coming together.

A couple of shots of the osb form set up, with the 1088 okume panels clamped and glued in place. The stuff is just too stiff to bag down, so I had to temp screw it to some cleats underneath, or shoot it to the form with brads. It was pretty messy. Also, I had make some dart cuts to get it to lay down good and proper. Now I have to go back and fill the nail holes and check for voids, etc.

The other two frames show the top piece resting on the actual fairing bulkheads, that are attached to the fromt of the beam. After patching and re-inforcing the fairing piece, I will fiddle with the fit and then temp screw it into the top of the beam corner timber, squash it down tight onto the bulkheads and bog it in place, by reaching up underneath.

The plans call for some biax reinforcement underneath where the nets and the jib sheet track will go on. I guess I need to figure out what exactly I will be using for the net attachment and how it will go on, assuming that it will need backing plates w/nuts and washers? The load on the net will be in sheer, kinda, I guess. Could I just put a doubler in there and screw in some screws from the top to hold it? That kind of makes me nervous. But I don't really want to leave the thing open until I get to the point of attaching the nets either. I guess I could cut in some access ports in the top. I don't like that idea either, but it may be the only way. Anyone have any suggestions?

All commentary appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      692.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      683.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      671.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      664.6 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.