Kurt Hughes Daycharter 36

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Charly, Mar 10, 2010.

1. uncookedlentil

uncookedlentil Junior Member

It,s a thing of great beauty Charly! Remember to stuff 2 by whatevers in the daggerboard trunks will make great tweaking and taming levers.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Roll out! Wow! Now what happens?

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

B you tee full.

4. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Dang! I wish I had thought of that yesterday. It would have made life a bit easier. I guess I was afraid of breaking something.

Cat, the plan now is to start doing the same stuff I was doing back in August. The upside is that now, when I am short on money for materials, I can still sand and pull wires. I hope this one goes faster. I believe it will, since I have learned a few lessons from the first hull.

5. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Thanks Hoyt!

6. hoytedow

U R welcome!

7. CatBuilder

It's going to take you probably 3/4 of the time, I think - maybe less.

At least in my project, getting techniques down for the first half hull has been time consuming. Actually doing it wasn't. You'll fly this time! :cool:

8. eladio

eladio trimaran...

Dear Charly:
    In first place tell you about your magnificent work!! is realy inspirador, who saw your work inmediatly think "I can do it!!!" and this is the most important...
    I give you my congratulatios for sow us this magnificent work, and for all troubles you don´t let go down... Great work and great Espirit!!!!!!!

Eladio

9. eladio

eladio trimaran...

Sorry by my very bad english..... :p

10. hoytedow

No te preocupes, Eladio. Muchas personas con muy mal Ingles aqui. :)
    Don't worry about your English, Eladio. Many persons with bad English here. :)
    Y bienvenido.
    And welcome.

11. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Gracias eladio! Are you currently building? We would love to hear about your project.

Reading some of the threads here I feel very humbled and fortunate to have such a resource. This forum is a great source of education.

I am currently about to roll over my second hull and prepare it for the keel pour.

I have done a little bit of fairing on the first hull keel, and have a lot to do yet before it is ready for glassing the outside skin. You can see in the picture where the splits were. The area forward has been ground down, but still needs some more fairng and filling. The area aft is still untouched. The diamond shaped patch area on the starboard side forward is where the vertical break was on the first panel when we moved it off the mold. All of these , as well as the keel must be finessed before glass goes on, as well as filling minor nail holes etc, plus a final tap tap for voids. I am currently focused mainly on the second hull, back inside the garage, so I haven't tuned my attention on the best way to work here. I have some scaffolding set up, but getting to the keel is still awkward. I may try tilting it over on an angle, if I can do so safely and easily. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

12. hoytedow

Those are great photos Charly and the hull looks fine. I am eager to see the project completed, but I am sure you are more so. Keep up the good work!

13. CatBuilder

Charly: I don't want to spook you, but I remember reading in Kurt's literature somewhere that you have to use brown bog because it's the only one that's waterproof. What bog are you using?

14. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Thanks Hoyt! I hope to pick up the pace a little this summer. My day job is slowing me down. It always seems to take longer than you think it will (and more bucks). I guess I need to tally up an estimate of the man hours spent so far (I am afraid to count up the receipts;))

Cat, I haven't heard that about the bog. Right now I am using aerosil and chopped glass fibers, for structural stuff. Later, I plan to use phenolic microballoons for the fairing putty. Please tell me you are kidding.

15. CatBuilder

Ok, I didn't want to give you a heart attack, but I wasn't sure what you were using to fill in everything that was white and wanted to point it out right away just in case and to save you any troubles.

Here is a quote from Kurt's document entitled, "Glass3.doc":

"Many additives are water soluble. All the white fillers, Aerosil (also called colloidal silica, WEST 406) or Q-cell (WEST 409), and graphite powder, will absorb some water. For external below the waterline filling use the brown stuff, phenolic microballoons (WEST 407). On the inside of your boat, the chocolate frosting look may not be the effect desired, so the WEST 409 may be used instead. To keep it from slumping, varying amounts of Aerosil, (WEST 406) should be added.

This quote had me so paranoid that I used brown phenolic microbaloons on my entire boat, inside and out.

My sense is that by covering any white filler with brown microbaloons later on, you'll be just fine since they will be "inside" the boat at that point, technically.

Just thought I'd share that bit of info and make sure you were aware of it so you didn't run into trouble.

Hope I didn't scare you too much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.