which zinc to use

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mudmanjw, Nov 1, 2008.

1. mudmanjw

mudmanjw New Member

I have an anode question for ya.
    I'm repairing a mudboat(flat-bottomed shallow draft boat similar to one pictured in a post a few down in this forum"Building a 15' Mudboat"). Its plywood with an outer layer of polyester fiberglass. I've rebuilt the bottom and still have some work to do. When I pulled off the old aluminum strut, there was a descent amount of electrolysis on it. Mostly between the aluminum and the fiberglass bottom. The boat spends only about 3 weeks a year total in the water either on hunting trips or parked in front of our camp. I was going to put a magnesium anode on the new strut to protect the boat but after doing some reading, I came across some info that said the magnesium in salt or brackish water "overprotects" the aluminum and a zinc anode should be used instead. I think I read that in a post on this forum and I'm not shure how you can "overprotect" something. Eating up the strut is one thing but the motor is an aluminum block 35Hp Briggs & Stratton that i would like to see last and if its getting to the strut, it must be getting to the engine/clutch, etc...

My question is... Which anode should I be using in this mostly brackish environment?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.