KSS construction - what do you think

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Willallison, May 13, 2002.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Came across this recently and the concept intrigues me.
    I have some scepticism about whether the construction technique would determine the hull shape rather than visa versa
    Any thoughts?.......

http://www.kelsall.com/kss.htm

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

With this technique you could get any shape you wanted. It's very interesting. I have toyed with different methods of using core material as the mold. These guys have got a great system.
    I'll have to spend some more time at there site.
    Gary

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I guess so - I suppose that in order create a hard chine, you'd simply groove the core material along the position of the desired edge. To get a shape like that pictured below, you'd need a rather more elaborate frame support system than the simple 'T' shape pictured on the Kelsall website though wouldn't you?

Attached Files:

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Again I spoke to soon, I did a some simple test with a hull I'm working on. I used construction paper and tried to fold it into a dory shape with two chines. It dosen't work without haveing a seam. The structure you form it on would be more detailed, but still much simpler than a mold. The big advantage is if your panels are large, most of the surface of the panel is ready to go. You only have to work on the seams. Good surface finish is always hard to achieve when not using a mold. This system would really speed things up for one off hulls.

It is also interesting to see how much they are getting the polyester resin to flex without fracturing. Is this building stresses into the skin that may fail later?

Thanks for posting the site Will.
    Gary

5. BigCat

BigCat Junior Member

Kelsall method and stresses

Stress levels creating problems for later? Derek has been doing this for a long time, so I doubt it. If you just stop to think how traditional wood building works, you can see that bending stiff materials doesn't have to be a problem. The turn of the bilges in the Kelsall method isn't cored until after it is bent. I think it is a better method for small to medium size boats than large ones, because you have to make more panels for a large boat. One builder of a medium size boat reported some problems, but he may have skimped on his homework.

http://www.voyageurs.co.uk/index-page18.html

I am avoiding the dart method of his method in my 65' build, in part because the panels would have to be so very large, or I'd need more of them.

http://www.dunnanddunnrealtors.com/Catamaran.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.