Small RIB mold builder/manufacture

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by IYN, Oct 2, 2009.

1. IYN

IYN New Member

Looking for someone that might be able to build me a mold for a 12 yacht tender that we are thinking of building. Looking to be pointed in the right direction. Looking to work with someone out of south florida if possible. Any ideas or suggestions. (just need hull/console work. Tubes/rigging we have taken care of)

2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

12 foot or 12 meter? and how did you learn to make inflatables?

What is different about your boat to make it sell in a crowded market?

3. IYN

IYN New Member

The way I see it the U.S. rib market is not crowded. At least not on this coast. It is dominated by only a few brands. If you look at every yacht over 40ft in south florida..(and there are thousands of them) there are the same 3 brands tenders on the back.

I have been catering to the large yacht community for years and have some ideas on how to change a few things for the better. I have been in the rib market for years and know it well so we are looking for someone to possibly build us a few molds. We already have some of the best tube guys in the business. And we are looking for 9-14' to be exact. That is sweet spot right now.

We have shipped about dozen tenders out to California this year and all the customers say the same thing. That good used ones at a fair price are hard to come buy. With the new boats in the 12' range from the big companies all ranging in the $20k plus mark we think we know where the niche' is. (at least we hope)

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

How about a hybrid of a Portaboat(folder) and RIB?

I hear those Portaboats have a good ride quality due to the somewhat flexible hull.

How about the same stuff and joint(I've never heard bad things about their joints) but with two
    main hull pieces to make a Vee-hull, then add the tubes and transom.

The idea would be to make a boat with RIB performance with near Portaboat storing size.

5. IYN

IYN New Member

that might be a good idea but we are going to market to the yacht crowd. Boat will have to be full rigid fiberglass bottom, top deck, bigles, etronics etc.

6. decoguy

decoguy Junior Member

Have you considered aluminium instead of fibreglass? Yachties like to use the tender to go up on the beach and uluminium will wear much better on rocky/rough beaches.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.