Paint

Discussion in 'Materials' started by waterbaby, Aug 10, 2009.

1. waterbaby

waterbaby New Member

I have to admit I fell for the slick adcopy on the homepage of Top Secret/Supermarine paint. I bought over $500 worth of their paint, primer and thinners.
    After wasting months trying to getting decent results on my boat with various techniques (rolling, brushing, roll and tip and spray) I finally gave up and purchased Interlux Brightsides and it looks marvelous.

The TS paint would not “flow”to give a smooth finish. When I wet sanded it with 320 grit wet or dry sandpaper the paint was so rough that in places I wore through the paint and could see the original gelcoat or primer. I would paint the bad spots again, only to get the same result over and over. I thought it was my technique. Their floor grip paint was just as bad, separating immediately and giving an excessively rough, uneven finish. When I repeatedly called and emailed TS for advice they “fixed”their problem by refusing to answer.

I finally ”bit the bullet” and decided to purchase another brand. After reading all the reviews I could find, I emailed the major marine paint manufacturers with questions , and received a personal, detailed response to my questions from Interlux, better than anyone else's response, so I decided to go with them. So far I have not regretted my decision at all!

Brightsides is great at leveling after it is applied. There is no need to sand out bad places, there aren't any! The finish is incredible, it looks like it's still wet. My endless days of sanding are over, the project is moving forward again. Now if it just holds up well it will be the “perfect” 1-part paint!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.