Roughwater 36

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by fishweed, Jun 26, 2006.

1. fishweed

fishweed Junior Member

Has anyone ever heard of a Roughwater 36 motorsailer, they are designed by Ed Monk

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

3. fishweed

fishweed Junior Member

The reason I asked, is because I just bought one, it needs alot of work , the mast is gone and there is alot wood rot, I have torn the deck off of the back and the starboard side, it says at the web site that only 4 or 5 were built,

Attached Files:

4. Guillermo

Sorry not to be able to give more help. When you find more info on the boat I'd appreciate if you share it with me, for my Motorsailers & Motorsaling web site.
    Cheers.

5. capncusp

capncusp capncusp

Hey, Fishweed, I have a RW36 as well but still in the water. Do you have more pics of the underbody of yours? I'm trying to see the bilge shape in the middle of the boat. Or a pic from almost the front and one almost the back, all from down lower so the camera shows the curves of the hull. Your pic you posted is good but there is a car in the way of the rudder. How are you doing on your restoration? We have a mast and standing rigging, but will probably rerig to all-aluminum. Thanks, Ronald

6. fishweed

fishweed Junior Member

I would really appreciate if you could measure your mast from the deck to the top, I figured it was 31 feet, I will have to make a mast, the lowest point on the bilge is under the packing gland behind the engine, I would put a pump there with a sump and filter and one in the forward cabin, and one in the salon, I had a bad leak and it was at the rudder shaft, I had to pull the rudder and glass and 5200 the rudder bushing hole, and I replace the lag bolts and drilled through holes and made a plate for ss bolts and nuts, all of my stringers need repair, the wood inside is rotten
    here is a site with more pictures http://mysite.verizon.net/resoebzq/

7. capncusp

capncusp capncusp

I am not at the boat at this time, but will be within the next few weeks and will be glad to measure the mast. Sounds like you have quite a job ahead of you, but from the pics on your site you are moving right along. Thanks, Ronald

8. Guillermo

Hi, guys!
    Can any of you sent to me photos of your boat with the mast up, as well as main data? I will post it at my Motorsailers & Motorsailing pages. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

9. steve greenwell

steve greenwell COMMAN36

Hi, Roughwater fans,
    What do people think about the RW36 MS. How well dose the sail rig work?
    What should one look out for on a RW36 ms?
    There is one on y.w. in LA that has the mast on it.
    They got lt listed as a 35' ms.but looks like a 36' to me. Maybe they can help.
    What do you think about the boat?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE.

10. fishweed

fishweed Junior Member

I bought one and I am replacing the entire deck, tore out the salon windows and replaced the 3/4 ply wood and glassed it, look for water and rot damage under the deck supports and the bulkheads, these boats are good looking but have very bad spots on the deck, that lets the water set and not run off, I bought the boat with no mast, I will either build one or get and alum. one for it, from the hull shape and the weight of the boat, I am pretty sure it would be a dog as far as sailing, but if you ran the motor and used the wind , it would be ok

11. steve greenwell

steve greenwell COMMAN36

Thanks for the info. Did you take a look at the one on Yachtworld?
    What do you think?

12. RoughwaterYacht

RoughwaterYacht New Member

The RW36 is an interesting yacht. Thanks to this posting, I am now aware of several more 36's. There is a yahoo mailing list for those who own or are otherwise interested in Roughwater Yachts. It can be reached from the following link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roughwaterboats/

You should be able to tell the difference between the 35/36 by the Hull ID number. It should read something like RWB36xxxx or RWB35xxxxx. The xx are the production number and production date. A few RW's do not follow this convention though.

Anyone with interest in Roughwater Yachts, feel free to email me.

Dan Symula
    Roughwater Yachts Inc.

13. dhmeissner

dhmeissner New Member

This is an old thread, but just thought anyone wit a Roughwater would like to know there will be a rendezvous in Anacortes July 22-24th 2016.

If you have a Roughwater, join the Yahoo group or visit roughwater.com

Cherrs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.