Potential New Dinghy Foiler

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

2. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Is this foil wandless? Is height controlled by the tips piercing the surface?

It would be a nice simplification but I wonder about the gain and how it would behave in the choppy waves that are common in the wind levels foiling needs. My gut feeling is that the main foil might not be 'one size fits all'.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Surface Piercing T-foil

It's a surface piercing T-foil like the one that worked below with manual flap control. Since their are no details that I've found, there is no way to know how much wind this thing will need. Foilers can be designed to take off in under 5 knots of wind. Moths do so as early as 6-7.

Pictures-L to R: 1) aeroSKIFF main foil/manually controlled flap-worked well,2)-3) Surface Piercing T-foil for a Laser designed by Mal Smith in Australia-not tested,4) Surface piercing T-foil for RC cat-about to be tested:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.