Kitchen rudder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by duluthboats, Mar 8, 2002.

1. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Would be absolutely no problem on something around 20 feet. The drawing I have on my website http://www.pcez.com/~artemis/SLAkitchen.gif shows how to use a hydraulic steering cylinder to move the "clamshells". Note that the hydraulic cylinder "pushes" to close the clamshells.

As to size of vessel - this mechanism is used by many model boatbuilders in the USA to control speed and direction of model boats using radio remote control.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

artemis

International fleet review was GREAT, so too was the International Festival of the Sea and Trafalgar 200 only probl;em couldn't see any 'Kitchen Rudder' type vessels - must look harder!

To the point of this - had a look at your website and, from memory yeah! you got the idea right; not too sure of the double hydraulic cylinder tho' seems a little complicated to me. These things are no good complicated (great believer in the K.I.S.S. principal - especially at sea!) Must study some more! Who started this thing anyway?

3. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Good article on the kitchen rudder in the current issue of "woodeboat"

4. safewalrus

Chandler

Sounds great mate, unfortunately I'm a 'limey' and living in England (work in Central London too, luckily I'm on vacation this week; phew that was close - enough of that we all have our problems 'tis just our turn [again]). so getting hold of a single copy of 'Wooden Boat' could be a problem! As far as I'm aware the only way to get a copy in this country is subscribe to a years supply or some such, applies to most foreign magazines in this country - suggestions?

the Walrus

5. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Subsribe to the magazine!
    If not...I believe the kitchen rudder was invented and patented in the U.K.
    Probably get some info right at home

6. safewalrus

Chandler

Vot is dis 'subsribe' thought my spellin was bad! the problem has been solved by another member of this forum (no names no packdrill!) Power to his elbow, he has my eternal thanks, twas a good article, useful too! But one good article does not justify subscribing for a long time! does it?

the Walrus

7. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

That particular magazine has consistently written this type of useful article as long as I can remember. So I would recommend a subscription

8. chandler

chandler Senior Member

I can't find spellin or twas in my dictionary, and what exactly is a packdrill?
    If you are interested in boat design,construction, or history, I guaranty you would not be unhappy with a suBscription. They also have a very good website with a forum similar to this one.

9. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I’ll agree WoodenBoat is a great magazine, and I have been a subscriber for many years. I also reference it and their forum on this forum. I only ask that you please remember the subject of this thread, I started it in March of 2002 to discuss the Kitchen rudder. I don’t want to see it die from frivolity.
    Thank you

10. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

What is the maximum propeller revolution with a kitchen rudder ?

What is the speed range ?

11. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I can’t think of a reason there would be any restrictions due to size. They have been used on model RC boats and large ships. It is only my guess that semi-displacement would be as fast as you would want to go. The literature is a little light on the Kitchen rudder.

Gary

12. junk

junk New Member

Your vs. You're

It's you're. As in: "you are." You see, when you take "you are" and get lazy, you say: "you're." It is distinct from "your", which refers to something that the person you're (<- Aha!) speaking to owns, like "your grammar is poor." Get it? You did it four times in this post, so it's not a typo.

13. safewalrus

dunno about this 'Junk' character - if I wanted English lessons I go somewhere else (this from the guy who's already whined about others English - did I tell you I was English (retread Cornishman! :confused: ), most of you guys ain't so you have an excuse! :rolleyes: ) So lets stick to the facts! As stated before with the old Naval Cutters etc using this gear there was a pretty big hunk of stuff under the "backend" (technical nautical term), which I believe would restrict the size of the vessel etc - there again the old Kort nozzle is much the same! Sailed on a couple of North Sea Supply Vessels GRT 1399 Engine power 3824 KW (what ever that is in real money) they used 'Aquamaster' units - cross between a Kort nozzle and fixed Kitchen rudder thro' flow of water which was used to alter the flow (like a bloody big outdrive leg) under the boat! Extremely manouverable but I guess cranking a set of 'buckets' across the flow of water (even at slow speed) would have ripped the 'buckets' off the boat. Whoops! :!:

14. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

15. safewalrus

JF
    Yes thats's the one, lovely piece of kit, the supply vessel I was on had two also sailed on a small coaster with one - not unlike the main thread of this thread apart from the azimuthing thing! big ship stuff as I said above!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.