Kitchen rudder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by duluthboats, Mar 8, 2002.

1. timswait

timswait Junior Member

Come to think of it, is owning a boat ever worth it? They cost lots of money and you could get wherever you're going quicker by air or road ;)

2. timswait

timswait Junior Member

Just been directed to this article. It's a good description of a kitchen rudder on a 40 foot harbour launch. Not sure if the boat's still for sale, but there's some good photos of the steering gear. It uses wheel steering and a smaller concentric wheel to open and close the rudder. A neat arrangement but with all manner of complex chains and linkages. I think it would be much easier nowadays with hydraulic rams.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Nice link ! Looks like the crafty builder of a small habour launch could fabricate one in his workshop.

4. SAE140

SAE140 Junior Member

I can confirm that Jack Kitchen was indeed a professional Lancashire inventor and, having checked the Royal Navy lists for that period, I can also confirm that he was never a Rear-Admiral, Vice-Admiral, Admiral, nor Admiral of the Fleet.

I wonder how the 'urban myth' of Admiral John Kitchen ever got started ? Perhaps there may have been confusion at some point between 'Admiralty' and 'Admiral' ?

Or maybe 'Admiral' was his nick-name in civvy street, as he was frequently working on inventions of relevance to the Navy.

5. timswait

timswait Junior Member

That's interesting to know! Either of those explanations sound plausible. The myth is probably so common because it sounds very believable, the Royal Navy seems to have been the most enthusiastic adopter of the kitchen rudder, and a military officer being an inventor seems quite believable too, like Frank Whittle.

6. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

Questionnaire on enhancing the manoeuvrability of canal boats via a Kitchen rudder

I am a final year mechanical engineering student and my final year project is based on the Kitchen rudder. To do some market research to find out if the Kitchen rudder presents a viable business opportunity, could anyone who owns a canal boat, narrow boat or other inland waterway craft please fill in the questionnaire via the link attached. It is 8 multiple choice questions so it should not take too long.

Thanks

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/al...ity-canal-boats-via-kitchen-rudder-49706.html

7. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

Kitchen Rudder Video

Some good video of a Kitchen Rudder in action, in water that is clear enough to see what is going on. The kitchen rudder video is from minute 2:10 to 3:00. The "11th Stirling Boat Rally 2014" video shows some very low powered boats, all powered with Stirling engine technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOB0SIRia9g

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.