Kit for 1964 18hp Evinrude

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Dec 10, 2017.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Has anyone got a spec drawing of the link between the steering cable and engine on the 18hp Evinrude?I've changed over to steering cable from a tiller.There is no fitting on the engine to facilitate the steering cable.(slide tube and fixings)
    I've searched for the kit without any success.
    There is not much info in the UK,but I know some of you American guys love these old motors.
    Any info would be gratefully received.
    "V"

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

No steering arm at the front of the engine ? If there is one, it will have a hole or two in it, and you will need a steering kit that has a swivelling bracket attachment that fits to the boat, which your steering tube is fixed to, with the "piston" fitted to the steering arm. This is the arrangement used when there is no "tilt tube" to run it through. If you can find the steering arm, talk to steering system suppliers about a set up that operates without the tilt tube being employed. If there is no steering arm (steel) there, that is another hurdle.

3. valvebounce

Hi Mr E,
    from bits of info I've managed to gather,there is a kit that includes a tilt tube.Finding any info on it is the problem.
    I've engineered a bracket like you suggest,but the steering rod comes through from a fixed point in the splashwell.
    With a tilt tube kit I will be able to let the steering rod come into the splashwell without it being restricted to height
    by the fixed point.

4. Mr Efficiency

I had a motor once where the tilt tube thread was pretty "shagged", used the steering arm direct, off a ball-joint attachment that fitted to the boat. You can do it without using the tilt tube.

5. valvebounce

The ball joint sounds a good idea,especially with the steering rod not being completely horizontal.The main problem is the fixed point where the steering comes through the splashwell wall.
    There is a nylon ball that the steering rod pivots on in the fixing plate,but the fixing is low in the splashwell.This causes the rod to travel from a low point on the starboard side to a high point on the port side,which causes it to run out of parallel to the transom and jam slightly.
    The motor could do with being 2" higher on the transom,but this would make the situation worse.

6. Mr Efficiency

You best talk to people that sell the steering bits and pieces, just emphasise it is not going to go through a tilt tube, but connect direct to the steering arm *assuming there is one*

7. valvebounce

The steering arm is part of the casting at the front of the motor,two holes and one central hole,I've fixed the bracket I made to it.
    I got a 1999 25hp longshaft to go on the boat,but I will have to raise the transom 5.5"
    I might put new steering on the boat and start from scratch.
    Shame really,I've got the 18hp running sweet as a nut.
    It's snowing here,bet it's nice and warm where you are.
    I spent Christmas in 1963 at Lakes Entrance in Victoria,beautiful place.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.