Oyster Yachts...shutting down

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by JosephT, Feb 8, 2018.

1. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Too bad, I liked the Oyster most at the last Miami boat show. The article says - The company had previously reported how 2017 closed with a record £80m+ order book ... So even with record orders, they couldn't keep the doors open.

I think it's the same for many marine manufacturers, the model is flawed. Overhead, likely, among other costs, has to be seriously cut down and I think it could be done if mfg's would loosely unite to share infrastructure costs and leverage economies of scale.

3. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Very good points. I truly believe a diversified portfolio of boats is a key ingredient. When the leisure boating market gets tight (as with every recession) you have to have other boats & products to get you by such as work boats, rescue boats, fishing boats, etc.

Too many vulnerabilities creating one specific boat type...especially in the leisure market.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.