Kill Switch Question

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by fritzdfk, Jan 30, 2015.

1. fritzdfk

fritzdfk Junior Member

I am in the process of converting a Yamaha T9.9 to remote control. In removing the tiller handle the stop push button switch went away. There is an emergency kill switch still on the outboard and I could use this to kill the engine but it would be kind of a hassle. I would like to put a kill switch at the remote helm anyway and I was wondering if there is such a thing as a combination kill/stop switch. I vaguely remember maybe seeing this. It would be an emergency kill switch that you could press to stop the engine without removing the clip. I know it would be easy to install two switches, one emergency kill switch and another stop switch.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

On most remote console controls there are both ingnition and kill switches. These are wired together so that either may be used to kill the engine. A single type unit is also available as Gonzo says. I don't quite understand why the engine is not being turned off by the ignition key , bar obviously being thrown out of the boat and the kill cord being operated. Whilst this type of arrangement is mainly for electric start, there is no reason for it not to work with a pull start system.

BTW test the push button operation of the kill cord switch, it should operate with a push as well as lanyard removal (with whatever type of pull C or otherwise). Also ensure the ignition key does not fall out or can be removed when the motor is running and the key is in the 'Run' position.

These faults do occur occassionally, fortunately rarely, but had to change both kill and ignition switches on a Yamaha 40 last year.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The stop switch and the kill or deadman's switch will work the same way, probably with the same wire routes for most of their paths. It's just a "path to ground" for the ignition.