Transom repair

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by renovatio, Feb 16, 2009.

1. renovatio

renovatio Junior Member

I thought that I would post this project that did 2 years ago. This boat had some sentimental value and I probably put more money into then it was worth but it did turn out pretty good. I used Seacast to do the transom and from what I've read is somewhat controversial here on this site. However the end result was a transom that I feel will last a lot longer then the wood repair that had been done just three years earlier at a boat repair yard.

Attached Files:

2. fastrex

fastrex New Member

Is that a Larson?

I have a 1975 tri-hull that i have to fix and have been debating the best way to go. Did you have an inner skin of fiberglass originally or was it just the wood?

Looks good.

3. renovatio

renovatio Junior Member

No, it's not a Larson Thats a Gastex Seastar. I don't think that they are in business any longer. I sold the boat to my uncle, and the transom has held up well so far. There was an inner skin of glass and a 2X4 stuffed in behind it. The yard that did the repair boosted that transom will handle a black max 250 no problem, yeah right. severe b.s. the thing almost fell off in lake Powell with a Chrysler 115 on it. When I took the top cap off there was another skin jammed in with the mess that it was pretty said. The whole seacast system seemed to make a lot of since to me. There is more than one way to go about it. Good luck with your project.

4. thill

thill Junior Member

Looks like you were careful with your workmanship and did a good job. I also did a Seacast reapair, (using both older skins as a form without cutting them off) and mine has been solid for a couple of years so far.

Let us know how it lasts. Time tells everything. I've committed to posting about the results as long as I can. You never know, it might last forever or it might fail after time, but I'd like to know either way.

-TH

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.