Kerisper, oolichan or another alternative?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ggeorge, Jul 15, 2022.

1. ggeorge

ggeorge Junior Member

Hallo.

I have a Yamaha outboard engine, short shaft with control box 25 hp. (2017, 56 kg, 2 cylinder).

I wish to build a fishing boat, relatively fast at which i can use my engine.

I have found Kerisper (Vivier) and Oolichan (Devlin)
    Does anybody has any experience with these boats?

Do you have any other suggestions?

I am thinking of 4-5 m length.

Thank you !!!

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Use the longer boat of 5m or more. a 4m boat will be a hand full with a motor of that size. You have a huge variety of choices for such a boat. First you must consider where it will be used, and the probable water conditions, in which you will operate the boat. Describe the anticipated conditions and you will get more information about the type of boat to select.

fallguy and bajansailor like this.
  3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Here is some more info about Oolichan -
    Oolichan 13 | Devlin Designing Boat Builders https://devlinboat.com/oolichan-13/

And about Kerisper -
    Kerisper https://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/kerisper/

How fast is 'relatively fast'?
    And what are the typical kind of sea conditions you will be operating in - and how far offshore?

As Messabout says, there are so many good boat designs out there that would probably come close to fitting your stated requirements.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  4. ggeorge

ggeorge Junior Member

Thank you for the interest.

The boat will be used in Greece,Aegean sea (Mediterranean Sea)

I am interested to be able to go at 20-22kn approx, when the sea conditions are very good and to be safe with waves at lower speed of course.
    As i understand boats with deep V are more stable at waves but loose speed at good weather. Is this correct?

I want the boat to have space and when i am standing while fishing to be stable

Thanks!!!

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A deep vee is not necessarily more stable in the roll mode. The vee configuration does dampen the impact when driving into waves at speed. In fact a flat bottom of equal chine width will be more stable or have quicker recovery in rolling situations. The flat bottom will plane with a bit less horsepower than he vee bottom boat. Or with equal power it is likely to be faster. The downside of the flat bottom is that it will pound badly while encountering waves of significant size. At speed in a disturbed sea, your teeth may be at some risk and there will be loud slamming noises.

Construction wise, the flat bottom will probably need some extra reinforcement or be of thicker construction. That may add weight of course. The vee Bottom has the panels divided into smaller widths and can be built with somewhat less unit stiffness

All that depends on where you will be using the boat and in what sea conditions you will normally operate. For economy the flattie is the probable winner if the other considerations are not primary.

bajansailor likes this.
  6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Sea conditions you expect ought to dictate the boat to some extent. A 25 hp engine will not push much of a boat to your speeds. I think you ought to consider a panga.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.