Is thickened Vynilester OK to use ?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rwatson, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I just opened a can of Nupol Vynelester that hasnt been opened since I purchased it two years ago.

It needed stirring, and there was a lot of thick 'globs' floating around in it.

I believe that Polyester will go off by itself if left alone for a long time - it looks like V'ester does the same.

I catalysed a small bit, and put it on some test FG fabric, and it seemed to be going 'off' ok when I left it an hour ago. It didnt seem to 'wet out' very well though.

Does anyone know if it is still OK to use for serious purposes when it has started the thicken ?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes thin gobs are Ok especially for converting to a filler with talc. Big gobs can be lifted out or filtered out with wire mesh.
    In any case it will go off but may leave a gob that can be ground off later, not for professional finishes however but just rough glassing in its fine.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Buy a kitchen sieve (metal mesh) and run the stuff through it. That should separate out the worst globs and break down the smaller ones which stirring should then finish up. Warm it up a little too...that should thin it out somewhat. Put the container in some warm/hot to touch water for that.

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

For serious purposes (flying, high tech stuff) I would leave it alone, however, when filtered (through a womens stocking!) it will be OK for general purposes.

Oh, I mean the dense stockings, not net stockings, so please leave your neighbours wife alone... :p

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks for the re-assuring words. Its nice to know I dont need to throw it out - its not cheap.

Now - if i can only find a woman's stocking shop, thats where you buy them isnt it?

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It wont go through a stocking you need something like a wire mesh. I used the vent off the back of a hair dryer, or the wife offered me her flour sifter but I dont want my pies tasting of fibre glass.

What about an old wedding veil, if you married an ugly woman they are going to have one of those. Maybe im thinking bigger gobs than you are.

Silk stockings ha ha good luck.

7. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Over here we sometimes have some IBC's (1000 liters, or 250 gallon) with partly gelled material. We can sift an IBC with a single stocking.

The remaining resin is sold as a "B" choice product. People love it!

8. latman

latman Junior Member

I use Nuplex VE infusion resins and it is very highly promoted and "purple" , we often need to strain it through flyscreen material fom bunnings , it seems to go off fine despite some chunks being removed from it (they must be chemichally something IMO)

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The flyscreen seems a good option, I have some spare as well, its good to know its not just my bad management :)