Keeping Fruits & Vegies Fresh

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Mar 9, 2008.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

...from another forum

I've been using a similar product, Evert-Fresh bags for years. They really
    do work as advertised. You used to be able to find them in the local grocery
    stores, but other than the web http://www.evertfresh.com/ the only place I
    find them nowadays is West Marine. I've kept romaine lettuce in the fridge
    for a month and it's still green and crisp with no discoloration. Like Chris
    says, stuff needs to be as dry as possible; I don't wash stuff until I'm
    ready to use it, just put it in the bag from the store. You also need to get
    as much air out as possible and seal tightly each time.

PS: I was going to compare prices, but the link from the Evert-Fresh site
    sends me to the Debbie Meyer green bag site. I guess it's a new marketing
    angle for them.

Anyway, the website is www.greenbagstore.com - I'd be interested if anyone
    has tried them or thinks they might be worthwhile. They're not cheap, but
    are reusable up to about 10 times and you should use the same bag for the
    same fruit or vegetable (a bag for romaine, bag for tomatoes, bag for
    bananas, etc.).

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

aahhh, the initial posting I just found
    Brian

As I'm still landlocked and in the reading, researching and earning and saving my money to actually do what you folks do please take anything I post with a grain of salt - I haven't even worked my way up to newbie yet. But.one of the topics I've been reading up on is provisioning, and specifically the challenges with keeping fruits and vegetables fresh aboard for extended periods of time. For the first time ever, I actually bought something off of an infomercial to try a possible solution.

The product is Debbie Meyer GreenBags, which are advertised to keep fruits and veggies fresh. The science behind this is (allegedly - decide for yourself) is infusing plastic bags with a mineral form of Zeolite, which absorbs ethelene gas (gas let off by fruits and veggies during ripening and as it sits around). Remove the ethelene gas and fruits and veggies last longer before spoiling - ethelene causes fruits and vegetables to overripen and no longer be edible.

Tonight we had salad with dinner - we bought romaine and iceberg lettuce almost 3 weeks ago. I've got apples that are the same age and are still fresh. Everything we've tried has lasted way, way longer than storing it in the fridge, etc. Tomatoes - same thing. You can wash stuff before you put it in the bags but everything must be dry. The results we've seen have been unreal and as we look to cruising and enjoying fresh foods these might make a significant difference.

Anyway, the website is www.greenbagstore.com -I'd be interested if anyone has tried them or thinks they might be worthwhile. They're not cheap, but are reusable up to about 10 times and you should use the same bag for the same fruit or vegetable (a bag for romaine, bag for tomatoes, bag for bananas, etc.).

Chris

3. yipster

yipster designer

havent tried them but sounds good and might very well be allright
    teflon baking bags i would not belive at first eighter but they are great

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Seems like a good idea and definately worth a look, and further research! Only problem I can see is it's a Septic thing - can they be sourced this side of the Atlantic? Looks even more expensive to purchase and ship than over there! Any ideas Yipster??

5. yipster

yipster designer

the fruitbags i havent seen here yet. importing fruits via customs can be a can of worms, no no ideas apart from smugling plastic bags :rolleyes:
    i see the teflon baking bags i use come from belgium and sell for €1 the 2 are re-usable and bake better than pan or grill without the mess

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.